Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sittin' on the dock of the bay...

The blizzard of 2010 hit Maryland this weekend and I was excited to get snowed-in with my friend Katie and her family. The electricity went out mid-day and so instead of watching trash TV and eating junk food on the couch, we cuddled up under blankets and read books. Oh, but there was still junk food. Someone had to finish the ice cream before it melted all over the freezer.

So there I was on Kate's couch, reading the book of essays from returned veterans of the Peace Corps. After reading each essay, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy. Without a doubt, I am confident that this journey with the Peace Corps is exactly what I need in my life.

As thirty inches of snow poured down around us, I felt safe and secure. At the same time, anxiety crept in. I will be leaving soon. This no-electricity thing is only temporary here. My belly was full. The company was spirited, while we hummed Otis Redding's "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" (How appropriate!). Will I have this feeling of satisfaction while I'm gone?

Let's face it, I'm going to be peeing in a bucket for the next 27 months. My food consumption will be meager, simple and probably invariable. I will not be fluent in the native language and other Peace Corps volunteers would be in villages or towns more than 30 miles away. This isn't like being snowed-in for a weekend - it's a lifestyle for the next 2 years. It's scary to think about: can I really handle it?

My last winter in the States was overwhelmed with snowfall and deep thoughts. Since the Snowmaggedon hit Maryland with record-breaking snowfalls, I soaked in every emotion I was experiencing, if only to have some happy memories when I'm thousands of miles away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment