Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Interview

I had my interview with my recruiter, Chris, on Thursday.

I could barely sleep the night before and I woke up an hour before my alarm because I was afraid I would miss my interview. It doesn't help that I set our meeting up at 8:30 in the morning and his office is in Arlington, Virginia.

I pulled up to the building at 8:15 am. My heart was beating too fast to notice a pulse.

Chris met me in the lobby, his shaggy hair and baggy jeans made me let out a sigh of relief. But then I looked down at my neatly pressed pants (I never iron!) and heels and suddenly I feel like an outcast.

Oh great, he probably thinks I'm high maintenance!

On the contrary, the interview was the most casual interview experience I have ever had. I felt completely comfortable - perhaps too comfortable? I answered the typical interview question with a sort of candid ease that left me vulnerable. With each answer that I gave, Chris typed my response into a data sheet for further review.

Chris: How do you feel about working in groups?
Kathi: Honestly? If the group doesn't have the right dynamic, I can't stand it! However, I am one who ends up picking up the slack when certain group members disregard their responsibility. And I'm okay with that, because at least I know something is done. And I'm satisfied with that.
Chris: So, in retrospect, how would you have dealt with a problematic group project differently?
Kathi: Well, I probably wouldn't have chosen those people as group members. Wait? Is it okay that I said that?
Chris: Yeah, is it okay if I record that?
Kathi: Will this hurt my chances of getting nominated?
Chris: No, it's actually kind of funny. It's great, keep going...

I will trust you, Chris.

At the end of the interview, Chris gave me a smile and said those magic words: "I will nominate you without reservation"

And now, I am eagerly waiting that nomination, which will come in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment