Thursday, September 30, 2010

What can I do to help?

I wrote an elaborate e-mail to my running coach.

I apologized for the past few missed running groups because of my current work schedule, complained of a bum knee and finally ended with a generic "yeah, thanks for everything, nice meeting you".

His response? An e-mail me back asking me the sole question: "What can I do to help?"

Here I am busting out a haphazard e-mail to cover my embarrassment over my absences and you are asking me how YOU can help ME?

So fast-forward a few months. I'm in the desert in some remote African village. I'm faced with saving the world for people who suffer from AIDS, poverty, malaria, lack of education, unclean water, etc., etc., etc. I'm standing outside my hut with nothing but hope and sun that never sets for a new day.

What can I do to help?

I'm feeling insecure. All this time in limbo is making me question myself, my abilities, my resilience, my plans, my future.

I can't even make it to my running group on Tuesday evenings.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! How I can relate! Life limbo feels like this place where all of your future goals and plans are under constant scrutiny! Its like me vs. me. One one side you have where you want to be, and on the other its this inner voice that's saying 'Do you really thing you can do this?, or 'This is not what your supposed to be doing', or my personal favorite, 'What the *#$% are you doing?'. All I can say is to keep your resolve hun! YOU CAN DO IT, THIS IS WHAT YOUR SUPPOSE TO DO, AND YOUR DOING WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE! At least that's what I keep telling myself, but I'm 100% sure its the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teej! Definitely need a pep talk every once in a while and this is exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete