Tuesday, January 04, 2011

No more cold feet - I found socks!

I discovered a group on Facebook where I have found fellow Malawi volunteers. I am so glad I did - wish I had searched for this group sooner! Not that the Peace Corps hasn't provided me with ample information, I just think current volunteers can answer questions that the Peace Corps packet did not include. And quite frankly, it is real-time answers from real people.

My mind is at ease. I can honestly say I'm ready. Well, almost ready. I may have a lot of packing to do and quite a few good-byes to say. But mentally I'm okay with everything. Which is more than I can say for how I was feeling recently.

I had so much anxiety - not about being homesick, but I really just didn't want anyone to forget about me. I mean, two years is a long time to miss me! I would understand if you wanted to get a new best friend.

But you won't have to...

Because...

Best news ever: I get a cell phone! (say what!?)

This is literally what I envisioned my life to be (as Peace Corps emphasized quite heavily that communication would be poor and homesickness would be high):

[dream sequence]
Kathi goes along each day, homesick, wanting to run away from Malawi. She walks three days in the dust and dirt, crawling toward civilization to use a phone to call home to say hello. She dials the number, eagerly waiting to hear the voices of those adorable, obnoxious siblings back home, only to have no one answer her calls! Oh well, try again next month, as she trudges down the road for three days to get back to her village.

A tad dramatic? Maybe. But I wanted to expect the worst that way I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that it was actually a TWO-DAY walk, not three! Oh boy!

So a cell phone is quite the improvement. Even if I don't have cell service for miles, just knowing my family is a tad closer makes me smile.

A weight has lifted. I'm super psyched to leave. Not that I doubted myself...well, maybe a little.

I still want your address because I like the idea of being pen pals snail mail-style, so please e-mail me those mailing addresses!

6 comments:

  1. I think meeting up for a strong drink will help alleviate more worries :) and we should compare packing lists... and I will start writing my packing list right now... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! Yes! :) I'm writing my packing list, too! We shall rendezvous soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, My name is Mary and I am also leaving for Malawi in Feb. I was wondering what the group you found on Facebook was called. I tried to find it with no success. I'm also freaking out about packing and living over there in general. I look forward to meeting you. My email is hanse20m@gmail.com if you don't mind sending me the link to the group. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mary, this is the link to the group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_157167694318927&ap=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kathi! I'm Maryland to Malawi too. My name is Ilana. I'm from outside Baltimore. Where in MD are you? I'll be coming with the Feb 24th group so I can't wait to meet you and the rest of the trainees! How is packing going along?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Packing has been...rough! I feel like I will never be prepared! I live just outside Baltimore (right in between Baltimore and DC) - if you're free, we should get together :)

    ReplyDelete