Thursday, March 15, 2012

Journal Excerpts from December


December 8, 2011

It’s December?!  My journal writing has slacked.  It’s not that I don’t have anything to write – I do – I just keep getting more and more behind in my “catching up” that the thought of writing anything causes stress about where to begin.  Much like keeping up with friends back home.

My mood has been dismal.  I am stressed about going to Germany and camp next week.  It’s been almost a full month since I last left for a journey – I truly enjoy being here and hate to leave.  Trying to get pumped for camp – I am excited for what it’s all about and to see Shelly, but I also feel stressed that I will be living for Germany soon after.  However, if I know myself correctly, I know I will have an amazing time and I will look back and think, “oh, how silly!”

December 10, 2011

Successful meeting with my HIV support group!  They were psyched about the herbal garden I proposed.  I even left them with some moringa seeds to get started (not to self: next time you give out seeds, make sure you count them out evenly before handing them out to people…they will count and compare and get jealous!)  The idea is that the five support groups within Dwambazi will each have a communal medicinal garden with a variety of herbs for remedies of common ailments for those who suffer from HIV.  Their assignment is to hold a meeting with their members to discuss placement of the garden and responsibilities.  The group was enthusiastic and eager to get started – every Peace Corps Volunteer’s dream!

December 16, 2011

Camp was exceptional – huge thanks to the joy that Shelly exudes from every part of her being!  She was born to be sunshine.

Camp was both fun and inspirational.  So many times I felt emotional toward these girls – these amazing women!  Yep, I was right – this was an incredible week and I cannot believe I stressed about it!

Jetting to Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment