Thursday, March 08, 2012

Journal Excerpts from November


11-11-11

I am only writing because it’s November 11, 2011 and I wanted something dated with 11-11-11.  End of journal entry.   

November 13, 2011

I can’t believe my luck!  A few great hitches home from Lilongwe and some excellent networking opportunities!  I met a man who works in my district with an organization that funds water and sanitation projects,  It just so happens that I am working on getting pit litrines in a nearby village that suffers greatly from poor sanitation.  They are an extremely committed community, they just lack funds.  Instead of writing a grant, I can connect them with this NGO that will help as long as they meet specific criteria.  We chatted for a long time about project ideas and even stopped in to visit the man’s brother in Salima for a few minutes.  Both men were well-educated and kind – I felt so welcome (in a non-creepy way, imagine that?!).  
Overall an excellent interaction.

And it got better from there!  I met an older woman in the back of a matola who only spoke Chitonga – yes we chatted full-on Tonga even after being out of Tonga Land for two weeks!  She was witty and fun and lives very close by.  I really enjoyed our interaction and I promised to visit her. 

I also met one of my Form 1 students in the matola and he told me that the whole class missed me – I was so flattered!  I do enjoy my students.

November 15, 2011

Let’s recap the past two weeks.  Halloween was spent with the Tongas on the beach (where else?!) with cold beers (thanks to an ice machine in Robert’s vil) and cliff jumps (off a giant rock in Lake Malawi – I did my signature belly flop contest – no one competed against me, as usual, so I am still the champ).  Yes, this is what TongaLand is all about.

Then I was Lilongwe-bound for the 50th Anniversary of Peace Corps (and also USAID, conveniently enough).  It was lovely visiting the ambassador’s house again (haven’t been there since Swearing-in) and meeting the new ambassador – a lovely woman, truly.

Game Count soon followed an I was finally the furthest south that I have ever been in Malawi.  We spent the weekend at Liwonde National Park – waking up early to do transect walks to count the large game in the park in order to monitor population growth.  We were teamed up with guides who had rifles (for the occasional rhino attack or maybe to scare off poachers in the distance) and who showed us the animals who lived in the preserve.  Mary (my partner in crime) and I were together – which is always a good time.  Unfortunately I forgot two important things 1) my calculator (kidding, there weren’t that many animals) and 2) closed-toed shoes (really, Kathi? Going to a national park with only flip flops?) Well at least I packed underwear this time, which is more than I can say about two weeks at IST.

Anyway, it was great fun being with wonderful people I rarely get the opportunity to visit with and we saw many animals – mostly at a distance – and even fought some monkeys who stole our food all weekend – not cool.  The best part?  Receiving a donation of 8 chickens and (drum roll, please) I killed one!  Andrew gave us a tutorial on how to kill a chicken and there I was, dull knife in hand, chicken upside down in the other.  I did it.  Killed it.  Not that I want to go around killing things, but I am pleased to add this to my list of survival skills.  Needless to say, dinner was delicious.  Andrew made a tasty sauce and grilled those bad boys – oh so good!

After Liwonde, I got to visit Mary’s swanky trailer in Balaka – aka Little Italy.  The children even say “Ciao” there, instead of the typical “Muli bwanji?” It was such a treat to eat french toast topped with gelato – oh Mary’s trailer is so fun!

Then we moved on to ANAMED training with the talented and amazing Nelson Moyo!  It was a brilliant week of detoxing – eating healthy foods, drinking herbal teas (ginger, lemongrass, artemesia, hibiscus) and learning how to treat certain ailments with plants (creating ointments, tinctures, teas and oils).  Incredible!  If every hospital had an herbal garden, they would never run out of medicine.  We received some plants to start our own gardens and I cannot wait to get started.  This is something I am truly passionate about and my excitement grew after this week.

November 22, 2011

My students are brilliant.  I don’t know what about them makes me so happy, but they just do.  Everyday that I teach feels like a good day.  They inspire me somehow.  Sure we have our struggles, but they are also very endearing.  They are respectful and courteous and I think we get along pretty well.  We’ll see how long this lasts, though.  I have heard horror stories from other teachers in Malawi.  Gotta stay strong and not be too fun (it’s hard to stifle awesome).  Honestly though, I feel like the teacher from Billy Madison – the one who is so happy and delusional, she rubbed paste on her face.  I mean, there I am, clapping for my students when they answer a question correctly, dance it out when things get boring, stretch it out when students are sleeping…I don’t know. I just feel good about this.

November 24, 2011

Happy Than4ksgiving!

I decided to spend Turkey Day in Dwambazi.  I needed some free time to just re-focus on why I am here.  As much as I enjoy my Peace Corps friends, I also need my space.  I find it difficult to socialize all the time – I really enjoy my quiet moments alone – I’m use to it.

I spent some much needed time with my neighbors and I baked mango cakes (different varieties – I don’t know what I’m doing), gardened (started the medicinal garden in my backyard – looking good!) and caught up on some grading a reading.

All was not completely well.  My computer fried.  I am hoping to salvage the hard drive – all my photos and videos of Malawi on there, as well as a few grants-in-progress and VSV projects.  Trying to stay calm, but I am highly irritated.

November 27, 2011


Happy 9 Months in Malawi!  1/3 of the way through my service – can you believe it? 
The best way to de-stress?  Cleaning the house – there is just something about it that is so calming to me.  It kind of freaks me out, actually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment