I am pleased to announce that 38 Form 4 students graduated
this past Saturday! I only taught Form 4
as a cameo for topics that briefly mention America (like the auto industry and
the Great Lakes – because clearly I am a pro on these subjects) but I truly
enjoyed our brief encounters. Form 4 has much better English than the rest of
my students, proven by their ability to make jokes and tease me during our hike
to the beautiful water fall in my back yard.
Graduation was supposed to start at 10 am. When I arrived at the school, I was told the
Guest of Honor was at another meeting and wouldn’t be there until 1 pm. While
we waited for the ceremony to begin, I enjoyed one last dance party with my
students, watched a Nigerian soap opera and then a kung fu movie and drank a
Fanta with the chiefs and group village headmen. At 2:15 pm, we got word that the Guest of
Honor would arrive shortly on her motor bike so we assembled in the classroom.
The classroom was decorated with pink and blue toilet paper
as streamers and multi-colored balloons hanging from the rafters. Someone drew pictures
of Coca-Cola bottles and DVD players on the chalkboard with colored chalk,
writing “Welcome to the 2012 Graduation Ceremony”. The students were excited as they laughed and
patted each other on the back. These students started out as 90 in Form 1 and just
4 years later they are only 38. They’ve come a long was and have a lot to be
proud of.
The ceremony was done almost completely in Chichewa but I
had a student next to me to help translate. We began with a prayer, some
introductions and then Fantas and cookies were passed out to everyone. We
cheers’d to the class of 2012 and some students pulled out fancy glasses they
brought from home to pour Fanta. The students sang a song together and then
performed a few skits making fun of the teachers. The head boy student gave a speech about
gratitude and staying humble. The top
student in the class gave a speech about all their memories and their future
endeavors. Speeches were then made by
the PTA president, the president of the school management committee, a minister
from a nearby church, (at the time, more Fantas were handed out) the governor
of the People’s Party of Nkhotakota , the head teacher, and the Guest of Honor
(phew!). Certificates were handed out to all students and special awards were
given to several who excelled. The ceremony did not end until 5:30, where we
were given dinner – Chicken, rice and cabbage, one of my favs.
After a full belly, a sugar high and lots of hugs of
congratulations and gratitude, I walked home.
I ran into some boys from my Form 1 class. They told me they wanted to
head home to dress in their school uniform, as it was their nicest clothes and
they wanted to look their best. I asked if it was because of the girls from school.
They only smiled.
The sun had set, the air was chilly and the smile on my face
was one that would last for days. I’m so lucky to be a part of this community –
even if it’s only for two years.
No comments:
Post a Comment