Friday, June 29, 2012

Words and Phrases I rarely use in the States, but use consistently in Malawi



Chat - I use chat like you wouldn't believe. I chat with my neighbors, I chat with my Peace Corps friends, I chat to myself. Neighbors come over and demand to know why you didn't come over to chat with them today. Chatting is a huge part of my life. In Chitonga, its kuchezga (to chat). I don't think I used "chat" in the States except for when I was talking about all the man-babes I was talking to in the chat room. Nde chezga waka! (Just kidding)

Bad Behavior/Good Behavior - When a child is a good or bad, you say, "he/she has good behavior" or "he/she has bad behavior". You always add the "behavior" at the end of good or bad. I am unsure why this is, it just is. I say it often. Usually it's bad behavior.

"It's a problem" - whenever something isn't working out, "it's a problem". This short statement is used almost daily.

"It can be fine" - This is more or less "special English" (more on that another time)

"that one"/"this one" - is usually used when talking about people (nice, right?) and it always cracks me up to think that I'm being referred to as this or that, but at the same time, I use it, also. (Example: This one came over to help me make dinner [oftentimes, pointing or gesturing toward this one or that one is involved])

Bathe - I don't think I ever said "bathe" in a serious context until I moved to Malawi. Instead of saying "I really need to shower", I say "I should probably bathe at some point."

Transport – This is used to describe how one travels (obviously). You sit on the side of the road to wait for transport. Sometimes – most times – I wish I could teleport. Ex: I will text you when I get on transport. Then you can hop on the transport that I have chosen when we get closer to your site.

Flash – When you flash someone, you don’t lift up your shirt, you call that person’s number, wait for it to ring and then hang up. This signals that person to call you because you don’t have enough units.

Units – You purchase these for your pay-as-you-go phone. You scratch off the secret code, punch it in your phone and BAM! You can call/text your friends. Typically you don’t because these cost units. Units are not cheap.

“You are most welcome” – this means, “you’re welcome” but Malawians say YOU ARE MOST WELCOME and it really does make you feel MOST special.

1 comment: