Oh wow, where have I been?!
It's been a long time since I seriously sat down to update this bad boy and now it's 5:30 on a Saturday morning and I've been awake for hours.
I have passed some milestones...
In February I celebrated my one year in Malawi with steak and champagne with one of my best friends. It was a much-needed dinner and chit chat.
March was the tipping point - I was in Malawi for as many days as I would be in Malawi. A shocking revelation but also one that gave me a renewal of hope.
The end of April marked my one year in service. I had been sick for two weeks prior and would continue this sickness for about 4 weeks after, so really this day went by without much celebration.
And then there was mid-service training in June which was probably my favorite Peace Corps training. Short, sweet and excellent bonding...which happened before, after and during the three days at training. Sharing my experiences and feelings with my group made me feel less alone or crazy and it felt like a renewal of friendship - having everyone back together again at the college where it all began. It was a good feeling.
And what does this all result in? A sense of satisfaction? Relief? Stress? Probably yes to all of those at any point in any given day, but when it comes down to it, I never thought I would be here in this frame of mind at this point in time. Looking back on my blog when I was applying to Peace Corps, I was so naiive. I've grown a great deal and I've made some incredible friends along the way - friends I will no doubt have for years to come. I'm lucky, grateful and truly amazed - this adventure has taken me a long way from home and there's still more time and room for growth. Bring it on, year two!
It's been a long time since I seriously sat down to update this bad boy and now it's 5:30 on a Saturday morning and I've been awake for hours.
I have passed some milestones...
In February I celebrated my one year in Malawi with steak and champagne with one of my best friends. It was a much-needed dinner and chit chat.
March was the tipping point - I was in Malawi for as many days as I would be in Malawi. A shocking revelation but also one that gave me a renewal of hope.
The end of April marked my one year in service. I had been sick for two weeks prior and would continue this sickness for about 4 weeks after, so really this day went by without much celebration.
And then there was mid-service training in June which was probably my favorite Peace Corps training. Short, sweet and excellent bonding...which happened before, after and during the three days at training. Sharing my experiences and feelings with my group made me feel less alone or crazy and it felt like a renewal of friendship - having everyone back together again at the college where it all began. It was a good feeling.
And what does this all result in? A sense of satisfaction? Relief? Stress? Probably yes to all of those at any point in any given day, but when it comes down to it, I never thought I would be here in this frame of mind at this point in time. Looking back on my blog when I was applying to Peace Corps, I was so naiive. I've grown a great deal and I've made some incredible friends along the way - friends I will no doubt have for years to come. I'm lucky, grateful and truly amazed - this adventure has taken me a long way from home and there's still more time and room for growth. Bring it on, year two!
No comments:
Post a Comment