Check it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/willy-volk/what-peace-corps-taught-m_b_1742855.html
In case the link does not work, I copied and pasted it here (does this violate copyright laws?!) :
In case the link does not work, I copied and pasted it here (does this violate copyright laws?!) :
What Peace Corps Taught Me About Managing People
By Willy Volk
There
are many reasons you may join the Peace Corps. Maybe you want to challenge
yourself. Maybe you want to learn what different cultures are like, and why
they do the things they do. Maybe you want to help people. These are all great
reasons. There are other reasons, too.
I
spent three years in the Peace Corps, in a remote part of eastern Zambia. There were about 100 people in my
village, half of whom were under 16. My house, measuring eight feet by ten, was
fashioned from compressed mud bricks. The roof was thatch. I cooked over a fire
in an open-aired kitchen a few feet from my front door. (Zambian kitchens are
frequently separate in case of fire.) I took a "splash bath" under
the stars in a four-by-four grass shelter. I used a pit latrine. My water came
from a well. The first three months were impossibly difficult. I didn't know
how to start a fire from scratch. I didn't know how to do laundry without a
washing machine. I could barely speak the language. I was deployed as a WASHE (Water, Sanitation, Hygiene Education)
volunteer. What did I know about building wells or squat toilets?!
I
joined the Peace Corps to try something different. I certainly got that.
Simultaneously,
and without knowing it, I learned many valuable lessons. When I started, I was
a long-haired kid who couldn't manage his way out of a dim room. By the time I
left, I had acquired a solar system of management training. Here's some of what
I learned...
1.)
When starting a project, or meeting a team, don't presume you understand their
problems.
One
of my first failures as a Peace Corps Volunteer happened early. Fortunately.
Some villagers had complained to me that their kids suffered from diarrhea.
During training, I learned that most villagers don't wash their hands with soap
before eating. This seemed like a place I could have an immediate impact: Teach
them about soap! So I encouraged them to to simply use some soap before meals.
Immediately, I was peppered with questions --
·
"Should
I pay for my daughter's education? Or should I buy soap?"
·
"Will
soap make the sickness go away?"
·
"We
eat with our hands. If we use soap, how do we make sure our food doesn't taste
like soap?"
·
"My
grandfather never used soap, and he lived to 80. Why should I use soap?"
How
do you change centuries of habit? I didn't understand all the reasons they
didn't use soap. It was arrogant to assume I knew the solution to their
problem. I was embarrassed, and left discouraged. Had I made a mistake joining
the Peace Corps? Of course not. But I had learned the lesson of never assuming
I was smarter than everyone else... which brings me to Point Number Two.
2.)
Surround yourself with people smarter than you -- and don't be ashamed about
it.
The
next day, I visited a local community development officer named John. I
explained to him what happened, and he explained that the problem with that
village was far more complicated:
There was a
water source near the village, but a neighboring village had "put a curse
on it" so no one wanted to use it;
The next closest
water source was simply a low
spot in the ground where water bubbled up naturally, and this
"scoophole" is where the villagers got their water;
This natural
spring was also where their pigs liked to bathe... and to poop; and,
Soap, alone,
wouldn't solve their problem.
I
returned to the village with John. We visited their water source and lamented
its "curse." We walked to the scoophole and chased a pig from his
afternoon bath. We pointed to the pig and to his filthy feet. We asked if there
might be something about his filthy feet making the kids sick. They admitted
that maybe there was a relationship there. We asked if they could think of any
way they could keep the pigs away from the water.
A
few weeks later, we returned to the village. They had assembled a simple fence.
The villagers still didn't have money for soap, but at least their water source
was relatively clean -- and their kids were healthier.
From
then on, I attached myself to John. We made a great team. People wanted to meet
me, because as a visiting white man, I was a novelty. I boned up on my hygiene
education, and I learned as much about rural construction techniques as I
could. I drew an audience and tried to radiate authority. John understood
better how villagers lived. We visited many communities, and we learned a lot
about wells. I wasn't ashamed that John was better at explaining things. I was
proud! He was teaching me valuable cultural information. Meanwhile, I was
building his reputation in the community and making it possible for him to
continue our work after I returned to the U.S.
3.)
Do the hard work with your team, but don't do it for your team.
In
more motivated communities, we discussed the idea of digging a well. Digging a
well is pretty much what it sounds like: you dig a hole about six feet in
diameter... and you just keep digging until you hit water. You usually want to
dig in the lowest part of the village. You hope to avoid rocky substrate. You
pray the water table is high.
John
and I helped organize villages to build wells. We'd even do some digging
ourselves, as a show of solidarity. But we never did the work for them --
because if we did that, they wouldn't learn the skills they'd need to care for
and maintain their wells after we left. Moreover, they wouldn't feel a sense of
ownership in the final product. I knew this, because a non-governmental
organization (NGO) had installed hand pumps in select villages a few years
prior, and when they broke, the villagers did nothing to repair them. Because
they were "the NGO's wells," the Zambians waited for volunteers from
that NGO to return to fix them! As you can imagine, they never returned.
Over
the next eighteen months, I coached John on how to write grants, and we got
enough money to co-sponsor eighteen wells. (For their part, each village was
responsible for digging its own well, and collecting enough sand and crushed
stones to make concrete; they also had to make ten simple pit latrines. For our part, we bought cement and
paid for some technical teams to line the wells with concrete.) At the end of
those eighteen months, eighteen villages had new wells (and ten times that many
latrines)! Moreover, they felt ownership over those wells and understood how to
repair them if there was a problem. Of course, we had also trained two teams of
four men each -- subsistence farmers by day -- the important trade of
well-lining. They could now freelance as well diggers, and make extra money for
their families. Maybe they could even buy soap!
4.)
Don't be a jerk. Be awesome!
Several
months later, while biking to a meeting, a Zambian rode up alongside me and
started hammering me with questions. It was hot. I was biking in thick,
bike-unfriendly sand. I didn't particularly feel like going to this meeting. He
annoyed me. Frustrated, I asked him to stop following so closely. He backed
off, but followed me all the way to the meeting.
I
finally made it to the meeting, and he entered right behind me. As it turned
out, he was a special guest from a faraway community that I had invited, but
whom I had never before met. Now, I don't know why he didn't introduce himself
to me as were biking -- but he didn't. I was horrified. Fortunately, he acted
like he wasn't bothered in the slightest about our earlier interaction, erm, I
mean about my being a jerk.
People
remember two kinds of people: the jerks and the awesome. Don't let yourself be
remembered wrong.
5.)
Relax.
Doing
development work in rural Zambia is hard. You can't do much during the rainy
season, because people are sowing their fields, and the roads are often washed
out. You can't do much during the summer, because people are harvesting their
crops. Funerals are common, sadly, and all meetings are cancelled when there's
a funeral. Getting angry or frustrated won't make these things change. In the
Peace Corps, I called it "rolling with it." As a manager, I refer to
it as "pivoting." Things you don't plan on happening, still happen.
Roll with it. Or pivot. Or whatever. But relax. It could be worse. You could be
getting your drinking water from a poopy scoophole.
No comments:
Post a Comment