I have received letters from students through the
Coverdell School Program and I must say these are some of the best letters I’ve
received while I’ve been here. I will
enclose some of the golden points that these students make. One set of letters is from a middle school I
visited before I left for Peace Corps and the other set of letters is from a
class to whom I have been writing letters from a school I once attended. So without further ado, I leave you with some
priceless gems.
“Thank you for coming in to speak to our class about
the Peace Corps. Personally, it is
something I would never do, so it’s a good thing you’re doing it. You’re probably really tan right now.”
“What are you having to eat there? Is it at least good-tasting?”
“So, I hope everything is well and I hope you’re
doing okay. But when you come back you
should bring me a souvenir so I can have something to keep from there.” –
ironically, this letter wasn’t even signed so I don’t know who I should give
this souvenir I bought…
“Thank you for coming into our class to teach about
the Peace Corps. I always thought
helping the less fortunate wasn’t my thing, but now I find it interesting and
maybe I will try it out.”
“Dear Ms. Ackerman, how are you? I don’t imagine you will return my letter but
I do think a letter from home will keep you better sane.”
“Sorry when you came to our class everyone was so
dumb. Peace Corps sounds awesome! Crap, this takes 4-6 weeks to get to you?
That’s ridiculous.”
“You better be getting your tan on! [insert hearts
and smiley faces] If you want me to send you American food, I will. Hope nothing bad happens to you, even though
I only met you one time. Stay safe.”
“If you are not aware of the positive difference you
are making in multiple people’s lives then let me tell you that you have
inspired me and all you did was give a speech, so I can only imagine how you
will inspire others on your mission.”
“How is it
working for the Peace Corps? I want to
get into computer animation myself.”
“I hope you are enjoying your luxurious stay in
Malawi. I’m pretty sure in South Africa you are worth more than 4 goats so if
you need a confidence boost, that’s your ideal vacation location.” – in school,
this class learned about the Malawian custom of buying a wife for 4 goats…several
students asked me if I had ever been courted for 4 goats
“Is there a McDonald’s? That would be funny.”
“First thing that comes to mind is WOW! Or DANG! And
WOW again. It surprises me that a past student is doing such extraordinary
things like that. It kinda makes you
sound (no offense) old or dead, again no offense. The only reason I say that is when our
teacher read that letter that you wrote, I didn’t think someone young would do
something like that.”
Stay tuned for upcoming blogs where I answer
questions from this awesome kids! There
are some good ones…
No comments:
Post a Comment