Previous days that were awesome:
1-4
5-8
9-14
15-19
1-4
5-8
9-14
15-19
Awesome Day #20
Today was a 2 for 1 special of Awesomeness.
First, I wrote a grant for the nursery school at Machilika Village. We need 100 meters of plastic to cover the
roof before we use thatch so that we can be sure there are no leaks for rainy
season. A simple enough fix, we just
need the money. I wrote and submitted
this small grant through the APCD Fund to our stand-in APCD at 10:41 am. I received feedback at 11:15 am confirming
the grant has been approved and the money will be in my account during the next
pay period. I was blown away at the
speed that this went through – I jumped for joy!
Secondly, I received a sweet surprise!
I guess you could call us a Glee Club or cheerleaders of the
hospital. We’re a welcome committee,
feel-better-soon-candy-striper-type group.
I knew we were going to visit Howa who was recently bitten by a snake so
I was ready to meet with her, show her some love and pass along some nsima
flour. I bafa’d, put on a black shirt
and my women’s group purple and gold matching chitenje and went to Ama
Chimbutu’s house to meet with the women’s group (all that Ama Chimbutu asks of
me is to please look nice...) I got
there and Ama Chimbutu told me to go back to my house. So I did, confused. Ten minutes later the whole group showed up
to give me a huge bowl of rice and to wish me well. They were so cute and sweet! They wanted to make sure I was feeling better
(not to go into gory details, but I’ve had a bad case of the di-di for days and
of course everyone knows). It was so
generous and thoughtful, I feel so lucky to be a part of such a kind community. Best of all, the women joke with me. I feel less like an outsider these days and
it’s such a wonderful feeling.
Day 21 of Awesome
Field Trip! Form 4 went on a field
trip to Dwangwa to visit the Ilovo Sugar Factory. We loaded up the mini bus (which was only an
hour late) and all the students began singing and cheering and chanting “Form
Fourlo” over and over. When we got to
the factory we watched a video (twice because we “needed to really appreciate
sugar” says the tour guide) and then we went on the factory tour which lasted
nearly two hours. We split into groups
and my group of 10 just so happened to be some of my favorites (are you allowed
to have favorites when you’re a teacher?) because they are the sweetest –
making sure I got a chance to look at the machinery and explaining things to me
(a lot of the tour was conducted in Chichewa) and of course, ensuring I
received the complimentary handfuls of sugar (we received one handful of brown
sugar, one handful of white sugar, a dollop of syrup, a pinch of powdered
sugar, plus any bags of sugar that broke during packaging were free game). After the tour, we waited for the second
group to finish where we played outside – taking photos and raising havoc (I
probably should not be a teacher in real-life – I break too many rules). We went on a brief tour of the sugar cane
fields where workers showed us how they irrigated the land – really interesting,
but a lot of the students headed back to the bus early as their sugar rushes
were starting to wear them down. Just a
fun-filled day with my favorite kiddos, what can I say?!
Awesome Day #22
Elizabeth came to my site to lead two women’s health sessions where we
discuss feminine hygiene and created reusable pads. In Malawi, there are almost no resources in
villages for women who are menstruating.
The products that are available are usually in bigger towns and are
expensive. Because of this, many girls
miss school when they are on their monthly gem.
Elizabeth did some research and found some great patterns and
organizations that have started hygiene programs for girls. She is a phenomenal teacher with incredible
enthusiasm. The first meeting was Friday
afternoon and only four women showed up, but they were eager to learn. They were not embarrassed to ask questions
and they were kind enough to help me with my sewing. It was a lovely day and afterwards, Elizabeth
and I were just so pumped we celebrated with a visit to the market with Ama
Chimbutu where the three of us bought dresses and shirts and made a big
scene. Plus an amazingly unhealthy
dinner of home-made brownies and wine – we worked hard, we deserved it!
Day 23 of Awesome
To piggyback on yesterday, three of the women who came to the training
showed up for the Saturday morning training designated for secondary school
girls (most were from my Girls Club).
Eighteen girls came (almost completely on-time!) and listened excitedly
as Elizabeth worked her magic at the front of the room. They were engrossed in the lecture and
participated after a few jokes broke the ice.
The girls began sewing diligently right away – most of them have been
sewing for years so it was just a matter of learning the pattern. The women who came the day before were
helpful in getting the materials organized and all the girls to finish well-before
lunch time. They sang as they sewed
(mostly GLOW songs, as the two girls I sent were big leaders in organizing this
training) and helped each other – it was such a whirlwind experience being
surrounded by these happy girls who were making products that will keep them
from being absent from school. We have
already started planning more trainings (as soon as I can get some materials)
and we’re considering making a small business out of it.
But that’s not all! Steven returned
from the Peace Corps sponsored natural medicine (anamed) training that I sent
him to at the beginning of the week. He
got off transport and met me straight away.
He showed me his books (some of which he won for being the best
participant at answering questions correctly) and posters. We discussed some ideas – he was so excited –
and then he went to talk to the Medical Assistant in charge of the
hospital. In thirty minutes he returned
to tell me: 1) we were given a plot of land near the borehole where we can
start our demonstration garden and 2) he has a friend who will build a fence
for the garden for free. He is on his
game! Then I heard from the leaders of
the anamed training that Steven was an all-star and everyone really enjoyed
him.
So pad trainings and anamed trainings are what I have to look forward to
next!
No comments:
Post a Comment