Thursday, March 28, 2013

180 Days: Valentine's Week


Day 107

Robert sponsored an ultimate frisbee game with some of the secondary school kids.  Christian, Ian, Rob and I whomped them hard!  But I was impressed with how well they knew and understood the rules of the game.  They picked it up quickly and they started getting more aggressive by the third game.

108

We woke up early at Rob’s to hike the mountain that is just near his house.  It was like climbing a stair master for 15 kilometers!  Our guide was a man who worked with the forestry office and he was running up the sheer hills.  I couldn’t believe how out of shape I was.  Before we reached the top, it started to storm and lightening crashed right by our heads so we headed down the mountain early.  We ate tuna fish sandwiches and hot cider at Rob’s.  We were cold and wet, but very happy.  I’m going to miss these kids.

109

Christian and I headed up to Nkhata Bay so that we could start our holiday at Lukwe a few days early.  When we got to Christian’s house, we passed out almost immediately from the hike the day before.  We were in bad shape.  Movies and taking it easy were the only things on our agenda.

110

We learned that Christian’s good friend Robert’s wife, Nancy, was in the hospital so we decided to visit her.  She was in bad shape, suffering from Malaria for the 4th time since we had known her.  We splurged on a cab to take her and her family home from the hospital.  Since I had suffered from malaria once before, I know how painful it can be.  The hospital was 8 kilometers from her house and I didn’t want her to have to walk that whole way, so I was happy to go with her.  Unfortunately she only speaks Chichewa so I tried to tell her to feel better but all I could do was give her a hug.  I think she understood.

111

Christian and I got lucky on our way to Lukwe – generous rides all the way to the top!  When we arrived, we were greeted by the incredibly friendly staff and given a gorgeous room with a view.  Cold beer?  Yes, please. 

112

Christian and I explored Lukwe’s beautiful, lush gardens (where the ingredients for our fresh salads at  every meal were growing) and made our way to the waterfall.  There was a cave behind the waterfall and we climbed behind it and I wished so badly that my camera was not broken.  The view was incredible from the top – you could see all the trees and villages all the way to the lake.  At dinner, another couple was sitting nearby.  They were being attacked by giant bugs, so we invited them to sit at our table, which was not as close to the light.  Turns out, our friendship was meant to be!  They were a really nice Dutch couple our age and we chatted late into the evening.  I walked away with a little bounce.  Our first “couple friends” that we met on vacation – how perfectly cliche!

113

The next morning we met with Arjan and Dominique for a hike to the waterfall.  They brought their camera and we took great shots.  Our friendship was effortless.  We drove up to Livingstonia to see the old mission town and I felt like we were in a twilight zone.  The village felt like a small town in New England.  There was a beautiful church and even a university.  I couldn’t wrap my head around it – this was nothing like the Malawi I knew.  We ate ice cream and scones for lunch in town, but for Valentine’s dinner we devoured steaks and drank wine and played bao until it was late.  I felt like we had known each other forever. 

114

The travel back to Nkhata Bay was easy-going, thanks to Arjan and Dominique taking us most of the way.  We caught a ride to Mzuzu, stocked up on groceries and headed to Christian’s house.  Such a flawless vacation, even though my camera broke we ended up making very good friends.

115

We spent the day in the bay using internet and I was able to get a lot done.  My favorite place is Aqua Africa – free internet and cold beers overlooking one of the most beautiful places in Malawi.

116

We spent another day in the bay getting things done.  I feel so nostalgic now that time is coming to an end here and every time I say good-bye to our friends, it feels harder and harder.  I am so bad at good-byes so I pretend I’m just not leaving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment