Day 99
There’s something about taking transport with a buddy. Even when it’s pouring rain and you’ve been
sitting in a puddle for two hours, nothing beats having your best friends by
your side to take the stress away. So
grateful for Christian’s company today.
Day 100
In an effort to cure my sweet tooth, I baked a chocolate cake. It was divine – baked goods can solve boring
day woes.
Day 101
I spent another rainy day sipping hot tea on my front porch as rain
poured. A hot bucket bath followed. I will definitely miss these days.
Day 101
Jembe and I met to discuss the completion of the pit latrines but alas,
there was nothing to discuss as they were completed this week! All 60 latrines have been dug, pitted and
slabbed! Many families are still working
on building the superstructures, but at least we have the latrines completed.
Day 102
I spent the afternoon investigating the latrines. Families came up to me to thank me for their
toilets, but I shouldn’t be the one thanked – it was all Jembe. He worked incredibly hard and he was so
dedicated in this project. I was happy
to help in the little way that I did, but truly the community contribution and
Jembe’s direction are what made these latrines a reality.
Day 103
I woke up to the news that the Ravens won followed up by a phone call from
John back home. It was great to catch up
– we hadn’t spoke in ages. He has always
been a huge advocate for all my endeavors so it was nice to hear a friendly
voice. To finish out the day, Christian
came over and I made chili and cornbread and it was fantastic.
Day 104
My yard has been overgrown with weeds and bushes that probably house snakes
and other scary creatures. I talked to
the headmaster and was able to put together a team of 15 students to come slash
my yard. They did it in just over an
hour and asked me to come back to teach this term. Since I have finished the latrines, I think I
will stop by and teach some life skills.
Day 105
I went to the school today to help start a fruit tree nursery. We planted a few seedlings and I brought over
some leftover avocado seeds. I
introduced moringa and the teachers went nuts for it. The students took turns hoeing and digging in
the dirt and we finished the plot in about an hour. I’m excited to start seeing these little guys
grow!
Day 106
Successful trip to Dwangwa – I was in and out in under an hour with all my
groceries and chores completed. Feels
good to get things accomplished with no hassle.
No comments:
Post a Comment