Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Saying Good-byes


Day 134

I brought home some treats from Lilongwe and Christian met me at my house.  We made an amazing steak dinner with mashed potatoes and salad.  It was so delicious and such an awesome treat, since I never buy meat because it can be expensive and I don’t have a fridge.

Day 135

Another amazing Youth Club meeting – this time we played football and frisbee in the rain!  It was so much fun slipping and sliding and getting muddy.  Christian and I splurged on another fun dinner with chocolate cake.  I feel so spoiled this week!

Day 136

Christian and I sat down with a calendar to plan the next few months.  I’ve been feeling overwhelmed with to-do lists and planning that I really needed to sit down and focus.  I cleaned up the clutter in my brain!  Time to get cracking!

Day 137

It’s official!  I bought my plane ticket home.  I arrive in Florida May 7, just in time for Mother’s Day!

Day 138

Oh my sinuses!  The weather has been chilly and rainy and my sinus headache has been intense!  I’ve been drugged up and sleepy, but sober and awake enough to make a fantastic pumpkin soup that hit the spot!

Day 139

I’m still sick in bed, but a hot bafa did the trick in curing me enough to sit up and knock out my Description of Service paperwork.  A few hours later and I was feeling great about the rain and sickness.  It kicked my butt in gear!

Day 140

I was on my way to being 100% back to health so I decided to walk to school in the light rain.  It was nice and cool and people were happy to finally see me out and about.  I greeted everyone who walked by and somehow that made me feel healthier and put a bounce in my step.  I love my village, especially in rainy season.  It’s beautiful.

Day 141

Well, well, well, what do you know?!  If you tune into MBC radio 1, you can hear an interview with Christian and Luso la Manja's creator Beatrice Zindondo about the African Women's Entrepreneur Program that is being held in Lilongwe this week!  So happy, excited and proud of Christian and Beatrice!

Day 142

Early in the day I had Youth Club.  The topic today was Know Your Status.  Several students got tested immediately after our session.  One girl in particular was very nervous about receiving her results.  Her friends reassured her that HIV was not a death sentence as long as she lived positively and no matter what they would support her and continuing being her friend.  I was practically jumping up and down after hearing this!  Breaking the stigma associated with HIV and making students aware of the importance of getting tested has been exactly what I have been teaching these past two years.  It was amazing to hear it in practice.  Her results?  Negative.  She jumped for joy and hugged everyone.  She is a true role model and I couldn’t be more proud.

I met Christian at his home and he brought with him a steak and we made potatoes and green beans and again I felt so giddy before bed with a full tummy of delicious food!

Day 143

We spent our last day at Mayoka with our friends.  Gary and Catherine have been so good to us and I love their little family.  We decided to stay the night and they gave us the most beautiful room with a bathtub, shower and gorgeous view.  I soaked in the tub and we drank cold beers on our balcony.  It was a wonderful last night in Nkhata Bay and I’m so grateful for the love and friendship that Gary and Catherine show us every time we visit.

Day 144

We had a much-needed double date with Rob and Nancy at Christian’s house.  The menu?  Burgers and fries!  They loved it!  I will truly miss Rob and Nancy – they have been such good friends to us and enjoying American/Malawian dinners has been so much fun.  We took photos to commemorate our last night together on Rob’s new camera.  He couldn’t be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment