I met a peace corps volunteer, Kevin, the other day. I was so eager to talk to him - a million questions running through my head!
Some key points:
1) Although I will not be paid anywhere close to minimum wage, I will never go without. $200 a month goes a long way in a developing country.
2) Don't plan on saving everyone. Some will not react to you kindly, cultures will clash, but ultimately the little benefit you do bring can prove to be a great help.
3) You will be changed no matter what. I hope so.
Kevin told me his experience was rewarding and ultimately, that's all I can ask for. He did tell me that he felt that he did not make a great contribution to the community in which he worked with - to the point where the Peace Corps actually moved him to a different community 6 months through his first year. This disappoints me, but it is what it is.
A lot to take in. I'm soaking up all the info I can, but really nothing can prepare me for this. I do what I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment