Monday, July 23, 2012

Did you learn anything?


Ten days after the exam was taken and after hours of scrutinizing over sloppy handwriting and misspellings, I finally finished grading my Life Skills exams for Form 1 (9th grade).  I was discouraged by the grades (many failing) however, I had numerous passing with exceptional marks. I try not to base these grades on my success as a teacher, as most of these students speak English only at school and for some of them, this is their first time they are using English conversationally. All in all, I have to laugh to keep from crying and some of these answers did crack me up and some made me wonder…



What 4 body fluids transmit HIV?

Eating powpow (papaya), mangoes, oranges, nsima with fish

Write down any 4 situations that might lead to conflict.

Abstinence, respect, intolerance, love one child over another in the family

List 5 values that you have.

Football, break dancing, jokes, golf game, swimming in water

List 3 forms of communication.

Unhappy, missing in class, sleeping in class, drinking alcohol

When does someone with HIV receive an AIDS diagnosis?

Playing football and learning

What are 4 most common ways people become infected with HIV?

Using condom, not sharing a toothbrush, not sexual intercourse, not sharing a razor

Tolerance, using condom, self-awareness

Love, empathy, to keep care of property, to be given food

Why are good interpersonal skills important?

It enhances loveness

List 4 strategies for coping with stress and anxiety.

Peer pressure, drinking alcohol, drug abuse, curiosity

Stealing things, during exercise, dancing, radio

What is the definition of communication?

The act of making one through idea and feeling

Why is planning your future important?

Because you avoid suffering when you are growing up

Different spellings for “vaginal fluid”

Vegal fluid
Vegenal fluid
Vagenal fluid
Vanigeal fluid

Vaganal fluid
Vanginal fluid   




Madam Anya Chirwa has taken a deep breath, recorded the exam grades and is now enjoying some peace in her humble abode until August when we begin again.
Yes, I might be silently sobbing on the floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment