Monday, July 09, 2012

Malaria Sucks

I had Malaria…it sucked!
Allow me to give insight…inside my head…
The fever started on Monday. Monday night after dinner, I felt chilled sitting outside with the cool breeze; so chilled that I began shivering uncontrollably. I went to my room, hid under the blankets until the chill went away. I took a Tylenol and the fever spiked in the middle of the night. The next day, I was achey, but altogether feeling okay.
The same thing happened Tuesday evening, just after dinner. But Wednesday morning there was little evidence that I was sick. I went looking for a rapid malaria test (where they prick your finger, drop the blood on a litmus and 10 minutes later you are diagnosed. Definitely not 100%, but effective, nevertheless) however, the private clinics I went to told me they were out of rapid tests. The tests are donated by NGOs and they had not been around in a while.
Wednesday evening the chills and pains were more intense, especially in my joints. I could only take shallow breaths and Tylenol provided little assistance. I went to bed shivering and woke up sweating.
Thursday evening I was delusional. The fever had intensified. I was thirsty – no amount of water could quench my thirst. I was too nauseous to eat, but I could drink liters of water in one sitting. My dreams were wild and I began hallucinating that people were in my room. I remember very little – any movement I made caused me to feel like I was dreaming. I was sleep-walking everywhere and everyone was in slow-motion.
Friday I made it to the nearest city, per Peace Corps orders. I went to a clinic and took a rapid test. Sure enough it was +2 malaria. Peace Corps requested I go to the capital immediately to be looked after. I started my first dose of drugs (Coartem twice a day, alternating Tylenol and Advil when necessary, and something for the nausea which was constant) I stayed the night in Mzuzu, dreaming horrible dreams, shivering from the cold, aching from every inch of my body and breathing shallow breaths. It was the greatest discomfort I have ever felt.
Saturday morning I woke up but could not move. Sitting up took everything out of me. I felt dizzy and nauseous but I really had to pee. I was helpless. I cried as I crawled to the bathroom. I wasn’t able to take the early bus to Lilongwe – it was impossible for me to walk the 2k to the bus depot. I took the mid-morning bus, which was the most miserable experience one could have when he or she has malaria. I closed my eyes and went to my happy place, but no amount of day dreaming could set me a part from the man sitting with his legs sprawled a part, the chickens at my feet or the baby crying incessantly in the seat behind me. To top it off, the last time I ate was lunch on Thursday.
I was met by the doctor from Peace Corps who ran a check-up, tested my blood three times (yep, it’s Malaria) and put me in a private room at a lodge where I slept. I slept long and hard.
Every day this happened – test my blood, my urine, feel my spleen which was enlarged and taking up half my lung capacity…while encouraging me to eat once in a while and drink a lot of fluids. The nausea prevented me from eating a real meal until the next Friday, but I had the fluid intake on lock down. I was released from Peace Corps care on Tuesday, so I hitched back to my site where I tried to live a normal life, but breathing was still a struggle and I felt dizzy most of the time.
In sum, MALARIA SUCKS! I will take my malaria prophylaxis everyday…I will never forget it again. It was hell. Anyone who feels that taking prophylaxis is dumb, uncomfortable, an inconvenience – let me tell you, malaria is inconvenient. Your body fails you. Why would you not want to prevent that?! Just take your malaria prophylaxis.

No comments:

Post a Comment