This is the story about my Peanut Butter Demo…
There is a product called Plumpy Nut that is used in
hospitals to help children gain weight.
It’s basically really fatty peanut butter and tastes like the inside of
a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. Unfortunately, this product is only available
sometimes so many hospitals go without and many children cannot reach a healthy
weight.
Dwambazi Fellowship for HIV/AIDS Support Group arranged for
a peanut butter making demonstration by yours truly. Honestly, I had never made
peanut butter before, but I witnessed it being made at a Peace Corps training
months ago. I was told July 20th was the day and no time was
specified. Not an unusual thing in Malawi – I never plan any activities on day
where I have a meeting, because nothing starts on time anyway. One event per
day is a good rule to live by.
At 9 on the 20th, my amazing counterpart, Steven,
showed up and asked if I was ready. Still in pajamas and deciding on what to
eat for breakfast, I said “sure thing” and threw myself together for the day. I
arrived at the meeting where 40 people were waiting. We discussed the plan to
make peanut butter and gave the group the choice of making peanut butter first
and then receiving ARVs (medicine for HIV positive patients) or to receive ARVs
and then make peanut butter. The group chose to get their medicine first and I
said that was great since it gave me time to actually prepare. I was told it
would only take an hour (as each patient goes in to speak with the clinical
officer to receive medication). I went home, collected my hot plate (the
hospital has electricity, why should I take longer than necessary to heat up
these nuts), oil, sugar, salt, a frying pan and my mortar and pestle. I wrote the direction s in Chitonga on a flip
chart paper and headed back to the hospital to find there was no much movement
in the line.
…several hours later…
It was 1:30 when everyone had received their medication.
Numerous people went home to cook lunch but I was actually surprised to find
that about half stayed for the demo. I consider that a success. I went to plug
in my hot plate only to find the electricity was out (not that uncommon) so now
I had to use my charcoal. Funny thing about my charcoal – it won’t start. I
purchased a bad batch in May of last year and I’ve been struggling to get rid
of it. It takes 45 minutes of tender love and care (as well as 250ml of paraffin,
charcoal starting bricks that I bought in Germany over Christmas and small
bricks of paper charcoal that I made to help keep it hot). We worked on the
fire for five minutes before someone just built a fire on my mbaula so we could
get these nuts-a-roasting.
I danced around giving instructions as everyone worked on
different parts of the peanut butter making process. We only made 1 kg for
everyone to learn and taste-test. It was delicious. Move over Jiffy.
By 3 I was exhausted, my dishes were cleaned by the group
and I felt I minor sense of accomplishment. I think I was very naïve in my
goals for Peace Corps, but now I know the best feelings I receive are the ones
where I just spend time with my village with no set plan – just a desire to
make something.
How to make peanut butter
Needed:
Fresh groundnuts
Salt (optional)
Sugar (optional)
Oil (optional)
1.
Take outer shell off groundnuts and remove brown
skin layer.
2.
Place groundnuts on a dry frying pan and roast
until the groundnuts are a darker brown.
3.
Pound groundnuts until they are very fine.
4.
Add sugar, salt and oil to taste and desired consistency.
5.
Pound groundnuts again.
6.
Eat! Keep in an airtight container.
No comments:
Post a Comment