Tracking down health facilities to get my medical/dental/vision screenings done for the Peace Corps has proved to be an exhausting feat. Since I do not have health insurance, I have been trying to find the cheapest way possible to get these tests done.
My current findings:
Medical:
Peace Corps reimburse up to $165 for medical exam.
This must include a physical, women's exam, and lab tests including: HIV, TB, Hep B surface antigen, Hep B surface antibody, Hep B core antibody, Hep C serology, G6PD, and urinalysis.
Somehow I have to track down all my shot records, as well.
I requested an authorization letter from the Peace Corps allowing me to seek medical screenings from a VA office. The VA will provide medical screenings at no-cost for Peace Corps volunteers. However, when speaking to the Office of Medical Services, they seemed sympathetic for what I was about to take on. Apparently, the process is a huge hassle, as it is "first come, first serve" and I have to really fight to get an appointment. I should expect long lines and waiting periods and chaos. Before hanging up, the woman on the other end said "Good luck! Consider this your first field mission with the Peace Corps." Fantastic.
Dental:
Peace Corps reimburse up to $60 for a dental exam and x-rays.
The International College of Dentists provides the names of doctors who provide FREE dental exams and x-rays to Peace Corps Volunteers. I was able to schedule an appointment this week with one who is only 40 minutes away. Success!
Vision:
The Peace Corps reimburse up to $12 for an eye exam.
An eye exam costs $120 for someone without health insurance.
Wal Mart does an eye exam for $55. I have found some online discussions about getting a coupon for a free eye exam at Wal Mart, but so far that coupon is elusive.
I have also found an agency called Vision USA that provides eye exams for free to students and families who qualify financially for the program. After completing and submitting a form, it can take up to 8 weeks to hear back from Vision USA to see if you meet requirements.
Plan of attack: (1) Send out for Vision USA (2) Keep searching for this mysterious coupon for a free eye exam at Wal Mart (3) Just get 'er done at Wal Mart and eat the cost.
No comments:
Post a Comment