Sunday, March 14, 2010

In sickness and in health...but mostly sickness

Sick during a severe flood warning.

Luckily I'm secure in my bed, drained from all energy, unable to change the channel from some horrible Lifetime-esque movie, I can't lift my head, I stare at the ceiling, too hot, too cold, pain shooting across my entire body like my neural synapses hate me. I spent the entire night shivering in the fetal position, with the heater turned on to the max and three thick blankets piled high. I've been popping pills and chugging fluids, but my body is not reacting the way I want.

And here I am complaining and wishing for it to be over, but in reality it could be much worse. I could not have access to drugs. I could not have family to call me to wish me better. Not that I answer the phone anyway. It's on silent because the ringer will continue ringing through my head long after I answer.

I threw on some shoes and headed to the 24-hour CVS and grabbed as many products as I could fit in both hands: juices, saltines, sleeping agents, pain killers, etc. The convenience was a relief and the ability to get out for a brief minute was refreshing, even in the rain storm.  

And what am I going to do in Africa? They have 24-hour pharmacies at every street corner, right? Interestingly enough, I do not have health insurance now in the U.S., but as soon as I get into the Peace Corps, I will have full coverage.

Ironically my medical and dental paperwork came in mid-illness. I have not looked it over yet, but it's extremely thorough. Next step in the process: medical/vision/dental clearance. I will be setting up appointmets all next week to get this over with and then officially I can be invited to a specific country in Africa.

It's difficult to be excited when your body is in so much discomfort, but I an assure you I will be happy when this is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment