Friday, March 26, 2010

Lists and Wisdom

I love lists. I love writing lists. I love crossing things off my lists. Sometimes when I do something that is not on my list, I write it on my list only to immediately put a line through it. I just really enjoy following directions and completing a list.

Luckily, the Peace Corps has allowed me to create a new list and I have been diligently working at crossing off this list. But somehow, the list seems to get longer with fewer check marks.
 
Medical Exam
   -Labs
   -Lady Test
   -Medical History
   -Vaccines
Dental Exam
   -Wisdom Teeth Removal
Vision Exam

Yes, as you can see, I have only had the ability to complete my dental exam this week.  But, what's this!?  A new item on my list?  Yes, the dentist told me that there is no way the Peace Corps would let me move to Africa without getting my wisdom teeth pulled.  And how much is that going to cost a non-insurance holder?  You don't want to know.

The dentist was a jolly man.  His name is Dr. Fine and does a lot of dental work on baseball players. I know this only because he had newspaper clippings strewn about the room with photos and baseball cards attached.  Apparently there is one dentist at the Peace Corps who looks at your exam and chooses to pass or fail you.  And this dentist just so happened to be best friends with Dr. Fine. 

And to prove his friendship, he pulled out his cell phone and called him mid-exam. "Hey, buddy! I have one of your volunteers in the chair right now. Just calling to tell you that I don't want to fill out any of you paperwork..........Ahhhhhh! I knew you were going to say that. (to me) I knew he was going to say that...he said stop whining. Oh that joker!"

I tried to smile, but my mouth was being held open by several instruments, as my dentist paced the room with his cell phone. Ummm, can we get this over with?

Overall a nice guy and my dental exam was free, so I really could not complain.  I just really wish my wisdom teeth would disappear on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment