Sunday, June 06, 2010

First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria

My thoughtful friend Margaret recently gave me a list of books about the Peace Corps.  In her perfectly bubbly handwriting, she scribbled down 5 books including the authors' names and handed it to me on my last visit to Florida.  I folded it and kept it in my wallet for safe-keeping.

I treated myself to a Borders visit recently.  Currently my financial situation has limited my pleasure-seeking, but I figured I could splurge on a book.  I pulled out Margaret's list and looked frantically for the books, but most of them needed to be ordered and sent to the store at a later date. I guess people don't typically seek out Peace Corps reading.  I did, however, come across an intriguing book called First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria: How a Peace Corps Poster Boy Won my Heart...and a Third-World Adventure Changed my Life by Eve Brown-Waite (Which was on Margaret's list, so I knew it had to be good!)

Conveniently, I have been sitting for hours in waiting rooms for the past few days. My book was my trusty companion and let me tell you, it was the best book I have purchased in a long time! Eve is brilliant and witty and I could completely relate to her story and her thought-processes.

I just finished it - I feel completely satisfied with my decision to join the Peace Corps. I just hope Eve writes a sequel. She is so good. I highly recomment reading First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria.

No comments:

Post a Comment