So the wisdom teeth extraction was not nearly as dramatic as I had anticipated. Although I tried to hype it up with video footage of me coming off the anesthesia and photos of my lumpy cheeks, I will say this to anyone getting out their wisdom teeth (and I will not lie): It's not so bad.
Every person who tells you that it is horrible, awful, excruciatingly painful is being excessively whiny. Granted, it's NOT a walk in the park and I would NOT do it again just for kicks. But I did get 'er done and now we can move on to bigger and better things...I'm still waiting, Peace Corps. I'm still here. Waiting.
1) Anesthesia was a good decision, I guess. I have nothing to compare it to, but waking up seconds after falling asleep was cool. I like mystery.
2) Soup and yogurt are your friends for the next 10 days. Just accept it. And don't rush the food thing - your jaw will throb if you chew too soon. I kept thinking I was big and bad and ate solids too many times too soon. Eating is my favorite pastime and it was taken away for far too long. You will probably lose 6 pounds in a week and your stomach will yearn for real food. It's okay, hang in there.
3) Ask the dentist if you can keep your teeth before the anesthesia. I forgot to ask mine and I regret it every day.
4) Follow directions, your surgeon has your best interest in mind, I promise. Ice that cheek, heat that jaw, sleep sitting up, take those pills and you will be a happy camper in a matter of days.
You can do it. I promise.
You're welcome for the wisdom teeth advice.
Thanks. Not gonna lie.. Im a little scared. Btw.. Did you have dental ins or did medical ins cover it bc its a surgery?
ReplyDeleteI was so scared too! My dentist had to tell me to relax so many times! I was in tears before they put me under! HAHA! But when it was over, I was like "really, that's it?" and I just didn't eat solids for a week and take your meds and if you run out of vicodin, you can request more! Don't suffer through the pain, you don't need to ;-) I was back at work on Monday. And make sure you use ice on day 1 and heating pads starting on day 2. Reduces swelling.
ReplyDeleteNo dental :( I tried getting my medical to cover it, but they said they only cover oral/facial surgery if it was something to do with reconstructive surgery. (So they'll give me a nose job if you punch me, but not let me get my wisdom teeth out?) But definitely call your health insurance company to double-check 'cause you might be surprised! Also, I found some decent, cheap dental plans, but because I wanted to get my wisdom teeth out stat I didn't apply. (www.dentalplans.com) I should have planned better. BUT, this Care Credit was not a bad deal. I was just happy to not put it on a credit card that had a high interest rate - it would take me years to pay off my stupid teeth.
Good luck and show me your cheeks! ;-)