Every time I have told someone that the Peace Corps is sending me some place in Africa, they ask where (of course...I mean, Africa is a mighty large continent) and I respond, "I don't know," because for now (just a few more days!) I really don't know
Then the person I am speaking to usually proceeds to tell me, "Well, I hope you don't get sent to [please insert any of the countries in Africa] because that place is bad" and I ask if they have ever been and most answers are "No, but my friend's cousin's neighbor's landlord went and said it was awful."
Oh yes, of course, a true expert on that country.
Guess what? I'm not going to a beach resort and I'm not going there to be a tourist. I'm not going to be in a war zone. I'm going to be well-protected - I mean, I hope. The Peace Corps is a legit organization and has been for 50 years. I think they know what they're doing.
I just really wonder what people think the Peace Corps is all about. Do they think I'm going on vacation? And do they think telling me that some "country is just awful" is going to ease my concerns?
Oh silly, silly. Soon I will be able to say with gumption, "I am going to [insert any African country here], Africa and there is no indoor plumbing and no one speaks English and you know what? I can't wait!"
love this one, Kath! :)
ReplyDelete