Monday, November 08, 2010

Peace Corps Polls

I know everything about the Peace Corps website. Check my Internet history - I know every page and I read it every day to see if anything has changed. Slight exaggeration, but almost true.

So I find it cute where there is something interactive on the website. Something to bide time as you're waiting (not so very patiently) for a certain invitation. On the sidebar, there is a little poll that you can take...I thought I would share...to bide more time before that invite gets here.

 

What do you think is the most valuable part of being a Peace Corps Volunteer?
The cultural experience
The professional experience

I can only pick one? Well, professional is just about a guarantee - I've wanted to go into international health since I was 13, I think. So going to a third world country is obviously going to be valuable. But what I'm looking forward to the most is the cultural experience. I honestly cannot wait to live some place new and different. I don't want to bring the U.S. to that country (why corrupt simplicity?) but of course some values regarding education and health will be intertwined and a huge benefit. And it's even better with a Kathi spin (look at me being all conceited - we shall see when I'm over there crying in the fetal position).

Are you nervous to begin your service?
Yes
No

Honestly? No. Not at all. And that makes me nervous that I'm not nervous. I try to be nervous, but I think it's somewhere deep inside that I can't really reach. It's masked by my excitement and need for a change. I'm sure I'll be nervous as the bus is pulling away, leaving me to my own devices. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet.

If you have service, do you plan to use a mobile phone during your service?
Yes
No

Oddly enough, no. I've been on so many alternative spring break mission trips and I found that I got the most out of these trips when my cell phone didn't work and I couldn't call home or answer calls from anyone else. I'm looking forward to being out of touch. Of course, I will call home when I can, but I am truly looking forward to the day my cell phone gets shut off so I can do what I need to do.

How soon are you ready to go?
1-4 months
4-8 months
8-12 months
more than 1 year

1-4 months, baby! Let's go, let's go, let's go! I think I answered this question the same way a year and a half ago. Seriously, maybe closer to 4 months, just so I can be sure to get a few things in order (financially) and say good-bye (I'm hoping for a one-month tour to say good-bye to loved ones...but they happen to be spread across the country, so it might be a micro-tour).

What aspect of American culture will you miss the most?
Food
Film
Television
Music

This was tough. Initially, I felt that I would miss nothing! Obviously this is not true, but maybe with these options "nothing" could be a possible answer. I wouldn't say television, since I grew up without a TV and there is honestly nothing of substance on anyway. I feel the same about film. The greatest movies I have seen recently were the obscure documentaries I borrowed from the library. I'm pretty sure I can catch up on the Hollywood blockbusters when I get home. Music...maybe, but I truly dig classic rock so that will always be around. I don't think I will feel like I missed out on life when Katy Perry comes out with her next big hit ("Peace Corps Gurlz" would be a sensation around the world, without a doubt). Luckily music exists everywhere in some form, I will not be deprived of melody and I'm extremely open to new music. I guess food, maybe. I like eating. I like eating all kinds of different food. So maybe the lack of diversity in my diet will be a bummer. But I don't necessarily love American cuisine (What is that, anyway? Burgers, Starbucks and pizza? Yeah, I won't miss that.)

So that was fun, was it not? Oh boy, I'm getting anxious. I feel like I'm talking to myself all the time. I can't wait to blog about something important. That will be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment