Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village

My friend Margaret has always been extremely supportive in most of my decisions (I say most because there have been numerous times when she has been my conscious and I've had to step back from a situation to see it from her perspective to truly grasp that she does have my better interest at heart).  My decision to join the Peace Corps was no exception of her support.

A fellow traveler, fresh off the plane from a year teaching English in Korea, Margaret has been nothing but helpful in my journey to get to Africa.  I am most grateful for her packing advice - there are so many things I would forget or take for granted. Mostly hygienic products and a few clothing items.

For my birthday this year, she ordered me a book about the Peace Corps and wrote the sweetest inscription inside (I will keep that for myself, though).

Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village 

by Sarah Erdman







A truly inspiring book about this girl who joins the Peace Corps and is sent to a remote village in Africa to work as a healthcare worker. Sound familiar? I was in awe over this girl's patience, creativity and ability to come up with such long-lasting projects in the village.  I hope (I hope, I hope, I hope!) that I can be as strong as she. Her experience sounds so amazing - she helped deliver babies and convinced an entire village to look into birth control and broke so many archaic stereotypes and voodoo principles in one little town. It was incredible. Two years. That's it. She was amazing.

Anyway, excellent read, even if you're not interested in the Peace Corps. It's an inspiring book either way and won a few editor's choice awards.

Thanks, Margaret! And if anyone else would like some book advice, turn to my dear, sweet friend. She works at a library and she knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment