Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Preparations for Malawi

Peace Corps wants me to reflect on my preparedness for the upcoming years.  I went to the beach on a full moon night for some inspirado. What I came up with was this:

I have gained 15 pounds - just in case I get some diarrheal disease and I lose massive amounts of weight. This was also in conjunction with the fact that I have eaten anything and everything delicious I can get my hands on just to savor the flavors of home.

I have packed/unpacked/repacked about 30 times. I leave tomorrow, I'm still not packed.

I'll admit, instead of thinking about what I'm about to embark on, I have typically pushed it out of my mind so I didn't get too emotional. As much as I tear up at the thought of not seeing Mack take his first steps, not being able to call my parents when something is bothering me and saying good-bye to all these wonderful people, I still want to go. I still want this more than anything. That's a good sign, right?

I know it is a tough road ahead, but considering the support I have gotten this past month, I'm pretty sure I will be okay.  However, you do make it hard to leave when you spoil me with wonderfully awesome good times - the last thing I want to imagine is sweating in my hut, swatting flies. A small price to pay for an adventure of a lifetime.

Thank you for the memories - I will cherish them on quiet nights. I hope I make you proud. I hope I don't get malaria. I hope you will remember me when I'm gone.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to worry about making us proud or being remembered, Kathi... those are givens. Can't help you with the malaria, though. Bon voyage.

    ReplyDelete