Monday, September 12, 2011

Journal Excerpts from August


August 3, 2011

I saw my first black mamba. I have the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. I was walking home from the market, minding my own business, feeling pretty good, when I saw a nicely dressed man pick up a large stick and whack away at the tall grass. After three whacks, he lifted the three foot mamba up and out of the weeds. It was limp – dead. But I didn’t stick around for long. I kept looking over my shoulder as I speed-walked outta there. I even crept into my house, just in case there was one waiting to attack me in my living room. Yes, that’s how scared I am of snakes.

August 8, 2011

Don’t ask what the world needs.
Ask: WHAT MAKES YOU COME ALIVE?
The world needs people who come alive.

August 9, 2011

Camp Glow was unbelievably inspirational. I felt uplifted, renewed and alive. For a few short days, I realized the beauty and strength of 80 young Malawian women. It was blissful and I honestly sat in amazement watching these girls perform, give speeches, dance and laugh.

Shelly was a huge part of this experience as well. She always seems to find a way to save me from my stressed-out self. She helps me work through all my troubles. I am truly lucky to have her. This trip, although stressful in its own way (it took two days to get to Dowa – including a long morning in Lilongwe), was rejuvenating. I went back to site ready to dive into my life here in Dwambazi. It’s crazy to think about what inspires you – it’s really the little things.

August 10, 2011

There hasn’t been water in the taps for days, so it’s necessary to go to the borehole with empty buckets. Carrying water back from the borehole is exhausting and consumes most of my day. I finally caved and asked a couple of girls to help me out.

Well, it’s obvious I need to improve on my language skills. Or at least get enough confidence to not get ripped off. I intended to pay 10 kwacha for each bucket of water a couple of girls carried for me. Somehow I got swindled into paying 100 kwacha for only two buckets. Where did I go wrong? I don’t know, it all happened so fast.

Anyway, long story short, I was in a bad mood. So when Ama Chimbutu asked me for 50 kwacha, I flipped. I’m not made of money! After a 20 minute explanation, I learned that the money was being collected from all the staff for a gift for the staff members who would be leaving at the end of the month. Good job, way to make friends, Anya Chirwa.

August 16, 2011

I think I’m a better person in Malawi. I recycle everything. In fact, before I finish a jar of peanut butter I have already compiled a list of things I can use the jar for. There are always at least two uses of each bucket of water that I use. After laundry, I water the plants. When I bathe, an empty bucket catches excess water from going down the drain and I use this to mop. I am learning to cook (sans microwave). I eat homemade meals every day (I try to be well-balanced, but starch seems to be a huge component – working on eating healthier starches). I am attempting a garden to improve my diet. I walk or bike to most places that are local (biking up to 20k – maybe more in the future – still out of shape). I am reading more books for pleasure, which hasn’t been done at this consistent level since middle school. And, I am learning new things every day. 

Wow, I’m kinda awesome. High five.

August 17, 2011

Very unproductive day today. I didn’t even venture out of my house. I think I just needed some peace. However, my house is a mess. My neighbors probably think I am being rude and/or not home. But I feel okay today. Just me in my nyumba. Tomorrow can be productive.

August 18, 2011

ESCOM graced me with their presence yesterday, so guess who has power? This girl. Well, I have five units of power. These meters they installed in my village are brand new. They are pre-paid, so I have to go to Mzuzu, guess how much power I am going to need for the month (or until the next time I go to the city – usually monthly), I receive a code and then I take it home to punch into my meter.

Feeling very bwana with my internet phone and electricity.

I’ve been walking around with the women in my village to meet new staff members. We bring them maize flour and chat briefly with them in Chichewa (which I don’t know how to speak, but it’s okay, I just introduce myself and smile – it works). Even though I don’t understand half of what they say, it’s really nice to be included. I feel such a strong sense of community. I’ve felt it since Day 1. I’m really lucky.

Also, I love Ama Chimbutu’s candor. As we were walking and chatting, she paused briefly (in step, not in words), spread her legs, urinated right there on the side of the path and then continued walking.

August 19, 2011

I had talked to many other volunteers to get their take on “integration” (a Peace Corps buzzword). Stacey is the one who kicked my butt into gear. I was doubting some of the tools that Peace Corps gave us – I couldn’t see how they would help me get the answers I needed - but Stacey insisted that they were awesome and extremely helpful. I took her word for it and worked my way through the community, getting answers, kicking ass and taking names (okay, not so much the last part, but I felt as successful as kicking ass and taking names).

I have been meeting with the HSAs (Health Surveillance Assistants – they go into the villages within Dwambazi catchment area to address issues and bring health services to those areas far from the hospital). I’m not sure why I didn’t do this sooner…? Maybe I was lazy or just biding time, soaking up the Malawian sun, reading mad books. Maybe I was intimidated – didn’t want to step on any toes or come off as a know-it-all to these people who have been working with the hospital for years.

In any case, I have meeting with these HSAs individually and getting so much out of our conversations. I’m learning a lot about Dwamabazi and I feel a great deal of support from everyone. I should have been doing this a long time ago. I should be more confident, as we are on the same side. That’s why I’m here.

August 27, 2011

The past two days have been super productive. I needed some inspirado, so I rearranged my house. The water came back on after nearly two weeks, so I was able to super-clean. It felt good to put everything in order.

The hospital staff and wives of hospital staff have put together a women’s group that gets together to welcome new staff, visit family members of sick staff and grieves when someone loses someone in their life (which happens quite frequently here). We deliver maize flour and cook meals when it is necessary and helpful. The group is led by Ama Chimbutu (of course, that woman could lead an army) and their meetings have been extremely productive.

After holding try-outs for a counterpart to bring to In-Service Training (IST), I finally found a lovely, eager, dedicated woman named Tryvas. She is excited to work with me so I hope everything goes well next month. I really wanted to bring a woman (In a country where few opportunities exist for women, I think it’s important to give this young woman the experience) and an CBDA (community-based development assistant) who would really get a lot out of this experience. Tryvas is it.

I was super successful in the transport department as I took a quick run to Mzuzu to stock up on supplies. I got there and back for free! A total of 5 hitches. It’s amazing to find that sort of transport on the M5 – it’s not a commonly driven road – and there is a fuel crisis! Feelin’ lucky.

On my way to Mzuzu, I went to visit my friend Christian in Nkhata Bay and meet our newly acquired Tonga, Melissa. It was a great day, sipping beers on the dock of the bay and chatting. I’m really excited to have a new friend not so far away and it’s always nice to hang out with Christian, a fellow BalWash resident. As we were waiting on the side of the road for transport for Melissa, a dog urinated on me. No warning. No rhyme or reason. He just came up, lifted his leg, and that was that. Luckily we were at the lake so I could wash off. But seriously…really?!

On my way home from Mzuzu, in Chintheche, I met a man who was HIV positive. He told me about the ARVs he is taking and how he always feels sick. He pulled the pills from his pocket to show me that he always carries them with him – he is diligent about his medication. Yet another moment of helplessness as a PCV. I advised him to talk to medical staff at his hospital to see if there are other medications to help with the nausea. I told him that honestly there was nothing I could do to help – as I’m not medically qualified to give out medication. But, unfortunately, even telling him this, I knew that there is very little the hospital can do. Health Centers already have limited medical supplies and staff. It’s just an unfortunate circumstance that 
 I cannot do much about. Helpless.

My neighbors are incredible. Have I mentioned this before? Well I will mention it again and again, I’m sure. Have I thanked them enough? Yesterday, Benard came over and I briefly mentioned that I wanted to go to the market that day to buy a winnowing basket. Literally ten minutes after he left, a boy came up selling the exact basket that I needed for 160 kwacha – 100 kwacha cheaper than what I paid in Mzuzu. I asked how he knew I wanted the basket and he pointed at Benard’s house.

Then Ethel came over to wash the charred part of my pots so that I could cook on my newly purchased stove with clean pots (they are charred from the fire – I admit, I get lazy when it comes to scrubbing the charred pots. It entails scrubbing with sandy soil and then washing off the dirt and grime – not my favorite chore). I tried to stop her, to tell her I was embarrassed she knew about my dirty pots, but she would not listen, “just this one time, please, let me do this” she said with a smile and a little run out of my house, two pots in hand. She came back with the pots shiny and new and a lecture about how I shouldn’t let them get that bad again. I am spoiled.

August 28, 2011

My BWANA lifestyle is on hold – the water stopped coming from the tap (I knew it was too good to be true – luckily I mopped and washed all my clothes and dishes the day before) and the electricity is off, which means I should probably go out and start my charcoal stove pretty soon.

I started my garden. And by “started my garden” I mean that I planted a pineapple. It’s supposedly very easy to grow pineapple – it’s a hearty fruit. Let’s hope I keep it alive! I simply cut off the spiky part, with about an inch of the fruit at the bottom. I buried the fruit part and watered it. It’s a pretty plant either way – the flowers that will grow on it are gorgeous and tropical, but it would be nice if I got a least one fruit from it while I’m here. It’s supposed to grow a fruit after one year so maybe I will get lucky. If not, the person who takes my house will have a tasty treat soon enough.

August 29, 2011

Some anxiety has built up – can’t pin-point the culprit, but I’m looking forward to IST with Mary, Shelly and Ellie (my Southern friends are just too far away). Counting the positives – like saving a bunch of money from my lucky hitching extravaganza to Mzuzu.

Baby weighing was disastrous today. The scale was missing and amas do not have patience. They were angry with me, some even left. I didn’t have the language to tell them to stay calm, it will be found, I’m sure. 
To relax, I made myself some badass veggie egg rolls – which are easier to make than I expected. I surprise myself every day. Continuing my four day cleaning streak. My vil has noted that I haven’t been around, so hopefully I get a lot done today so I can say my hellos the rest of the week.

I met the other Life Skills teacher at Dwambazi Secondary. Apparently I will have 50 Form 1 students. He wants to share notes, which I am more than happy to do. Also looking into classroom management techniques. Teenagers all day?! Oy vey.

August 30, 2011

I am disappointed that my village got electricity. In the middle of the afternoon I went to chat with my neighbors and they were too busy watching Nigerian soap operas. I decided to take a walk with my camera. Slightly awkward to be a tourist in your own neighborhood, but my vil was eager to participate in my shenanigans. They usually are. I walked down the M5 and sure enough, everyone wanted to know where I was going and why? The kids in the village followed me, eagerly posing for photos and helping me with my Tonga. I walked down to Dwambazi River, half-looking for crocodiles, but mostly looking for a running path. Jackpot! On the running path, not the crocs. I’m seriously considering a marathon while I’m here. And why not? I have plenty of time to train.

August 31, 2011

It’s fire season: where they burn the dead crops to get ready for planting season. Not very good for the environment and awful for the cleanliness of my house. The ash finds its way through the roof and litters my house. I have swept four times today.

A three-year old urinated on me today. And just a few weeks ago that dog did the same. What is up with all this urination? Am I target?!

No comments:

Post a Comment