So how do I get around?! Things have changed. I don’t have my [somewhat]
reliable Saab waiting in the driveway. I can’t just go places on a whim
anymore. I always have to calculate time for transport and usually I calculate
for worst-case scenario.
My patience is incredible. It grows steadily with each hour that I wait,
standing on the side of the road for a ride. And with this fuel crisis, I am
only growing more patient. With the exception of riding my bike, transport
usually consists of me walking to the road (hopefully it’s a busy one) and
waving my arm up and down to let someone know that I’m looking for a ride.
So, this is how I get around.
My sweet Peace Corps-issued Gary Fisher
This is actually my second bike. If you remember, my first bike lost a pedal
15 kilometers from my house mid-pedal to Clarissa’s site. This Gary Fisher is
much more reliable. It’s got two pedals! I really only ride to visit my site
mates or outreach clinics. I have big plans to ride to Dwangwa (the nearest
town with a real grocery store) but it might be a long ride. I could do it. I
will do it before my service is over. Plan.
Mini Bus
Probably my least favorite option and usually overlooked unless I am
completely desperate. Mini buses should seat 18, but there are typically more
crammed in. When it comes to transport in Malawi, there is always room for one
more. It’s the size of a large mini van with bench seats. The mini bus stops
often. Sometimes it also only goes half-way to your destination and makes you
get off and get on a different mini-bus. They never tell you when they are
doing this. Sometimes when they stop at a trading center, they will sit and
wait for 20-30 minutes. I don’t know what they are waiting for – more patrons?
Maybe. Or maybe they just want to irritate me. It is not uncommon to have
someone’s elbow in your side, a baby on your lap and a rooster giving you the
evil eye. Uncomfortable, hot and smelly. No fixed prices, but you can bargain
down. Honestly though, no fun.
Coaster
A slightly better option than the mini-bus. But only slightly. It’s the
size of a “short-bus” from the school days. The seats are somewhat roomier and
you can cram more people in. It’s mostly just slightly easier to get in and out
of a Coaster. Coasters are not as common as mini-buses.
Bus
A bus – a real bus – is a nice option. Sometimes. It’s usually reasonably
cheap since the prices are fixed.. However, they stop often. And when they stop
at roadblocks in the road, usually the passengers have to get off the bus.
There are some early options that leave my village (at 4am) so you can get to
your destination relatively quickly. If you get a seat, lucky you. There is
standing room, but they tend to cram a lot of standers if possible. Dogs are
not allowed on a big bus, though. However, roosters, goats, and chickens are
allowed. I asked a conductor why this is and he said it was because you can’t
eat dog. I told him I ate dog, but he dismissed me.
Matola
Not a bad option – you ride in the bed of a truck and there is no fixed
rate. A man sits in the bed of the truck collecting money. Sometimes they
haggle you because they know you are a forgeiner and think you have money.
Sometimes matolas can get loaded (this is actually preferable for the matola
driver because he wants money) – I’ve had to stand in the bed of a truck
before. Just the other day there were 25 people in the back of my matola with
me. They can pack on luggage and people like you wouldn’t believe. It’s
preferred over a mini bus because even if you have someone’s elbow in your side
and a baby on your lap, you have the breeze. Excellent during the hot season.
Bike Taxi
Sometimes frightening, but sometimes necessary – you ride on the back of
someone’s bike. There’s a padded cushion, which is classy. Usually relatively
cheap and sometimes a beautiful way to go when you are on your way to the bank
through the Dwangwa sugar plantation. But, you are riding behind someone on a
bike. The roads can be bumpy, sometimes the pedaler will make you get off to
walk the bike up a hill, and sometimes sitting behind someone in the heat of
the day can result in a smelly and sweaty interaction. Slightly unpleasant, but
not always horrible.
Hitch
The all-time, preferred way to go. It’s free, sometimes there is air
conditioning, you meet really interesting people (sometimes you network a
little) and you get there fast. Hitching is not a negative thing in Malawi.
It’s pretty safe (probably safer than a matola – I’ve had plenty of friends
almost fall out of those things) and usually the driver speaks English so the
conversation is pretty good.
That’s how I get places. I’m actually going to miss being able to flag
somebody down when I need a ride someplace. But I won’t miss the waiting part.
No comments:
Post a Comment