Saturday, January 26, 2013

180 Days of Awesome: at site!

Day 70

Amazing travel day!  An immediate, free ride from some awesome Kenyan truck drivers all the way to Luso la Manja where I spent over an hour picking up more bags to sell.  When we went back to the road, we got another almost immediate ride from another awesome couple of Kenyan truck drivers all the way to Dwambazi.  Free rides and good company!  I think visiting Kenya is in my future.  

When we hopped out of the truck, I heard Ama Chimbutu’s voice yelling my name.  But I must be mistaken – she told me on Christmas Eve when I called that she was transferring and the truck was leaving that day.  I turned and saw her running toward the road hollaring my name in her distinctive, raspy voice. “AMA!” I yelled as I bolted across the road, dropping my bag in the ditch and jumping in for a hug.  Oh my joy was overfilling, as I spent a lot of Christmas Eve sulking and crying at the thought of not saying good-bye to my good friend.  She told me she couldn’t leave because they have a field of rice so her family left for the new hospital and she would join them in June.  I couldn’t believe my luck.

After I dropped my things off at my house, I visited Mrs. Nkhosi who had a baby Christmas Eve (Christmas Eve was quite busy in Dwambazi).  She told me before she had the baby that she wanted me to name it, but we never talked about it again.  When I met her baby, a lovely girl with a mop of hair on her head, I learned her name was Sylvia and Mrs. Nkhosi was very upset I didn’t name the baby myself.  I explained that it was bad form to name a baby over the phone, I had to see the babe in person to come up with a quality name.  Still distraught, Mrs. Nkhosi pouted for a few minutes.  I told her I would give the baby a middle name: Ann, after my Grandma Nate.  Sylvia Ann Nkhosi.  Mrs. Nkhosi jumped up and down and now darling, one-week old Sylvia currently goes by the name Ann.

Day 71

Jembe has been diligently working on our pit latrines and today I got a sneak peak at our first chimbudzi.  I stood over the deep hole, with a perfectly crafted cement slab and thought, ‘this is it’.  This is what I’ve been working on for months and finally it is working out!  Although not without flaws and delays, the project does seem to be going smoothly, largely due to Jembe’s hard work.  He told me this project is one-of-a-kind and the district hospital in Nkhotakota is using our village as a model for other villages.  They are making a huge effort to promote hygeine in neighboring villages and they will come out when we finish for our turning-over ceremony with the media to address the issue.  This is huge and Jembe is beaming with pride.  He has been fantastic and deserves all the accolades.

Day 72

Ama Chimbutu now lives with agogo Ruth.  Ruth is 4 feet nothin’ and 100 pounds soaking wet, but as sassy as Ama.  The two of them bicker and laugh and gossip like no one else.  I spent the afternoon with Ruth as I waited for Ama to come back from the fields and she showed me her large, empty house.  She drew pictures of a light switch and electricity plugs on the wall.  Wishful thinking?  She is sweet as pie and sharp, even though she must be pushing 70 and in Malawi that is something to be proud of.  When Ama showed up, we went to the market and raised our usual havoc.  She laughed at me as I yelled at a drunk man for grabbing my arm.  She likes when I get saucy in Chitonga, but it’s only when necessary.  When we returned to Ruth’s, we sat on the porch as the sun set and talked about how much we would miss each other when I leave.  I hate to think about it. 

Day 73

Super-cleaning my house!  This translates to actual cleaning – dusting, mopping, organizing, all of it – as opposed to the spot cleaning which is what I typically do – toss things in the corner, under my bed, fast mop around anything on the floor.  This will end up taking me three days to complete, but it feels so therapeutic and the organizing results in me getting rid of so much junk that will make it easier for packing and leaving Dwambazi. Ugh, I hate to think about it.

Day 74

I lunched with Ama Chimbutu and agogo Ruth.  There’s nothing as intimate as sharing a plate of nsima and stewed goat.  I gave Ama her gift (just in case she tries to leave again without saying good-bye) which was a teal colored chitenje – one that I have as well, so we can always remember each other.  She loved it.  I also gave her some soap from America.  She was ecstatic over that.  She said it was nice soap that she would only use when she saw her husband.

Day 75

Rain, rain, rain all day long makes doing laundry impossible!  More cleaning today, but the best feeling was when I caught up with my correspondence.  I have been bad at writing people back but now I have a bunch of letters to send out.  Let’s see how long it takes me to buy stamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment