Day 53
I arrived at a camp a few days late as I had to make sure the giardia had
cleared up. Once I saw everyone familiar
and everything campy, I ran. Being at
camp feels like being home. Shelly,
Michele and Mary were rocking it as camp counselors. Cassie was a phenomenal Grassroot Soccer
coach – she stepped up and kicked butt.
Joan was doing what Joanie does best – staying awesome, per usual. And Ilana took it away at camp director, I
was so impressed. We fit into these
campy roles like your favorite old t-shirt.
We just made it work. I stepped
into camp and there I was surrounded by complete comfort and pure joy: camp
songs, girls playing soccer with intense enthusiasm, teamwork like you wouldn’t
believe – was this really the first full day of camp? I was happy.
I was home.
Day 54
The camp energy never let up. This
was my 5th camp with Peace Corps and I was blown away at how much
participation was going on! The
Grassroot Soccer program brought the girls on a whole new comfort level with
each other – they were teammates and sisters.
They gave their opinions and told personal stories and I was
impressed.
Day 55
One of the girls lost a family member early this morning. What struck me was how the girls gathered
around their friend to comfort her as she cried waiting for her ride to go home
for the funeral. They held her hand,
they cried with her, they hugged her so tightly I could feel the love as I
helplessly watched in sadness. In a
country so stricken with heartache and death, it’s amazing how quickly these
girls grow up and learn how to deal with grief.
Day 56
My favorite day at camp – condom day!
Camp Director Ilana took this very important lesson and turned it into
one of my most favorite experiences of all camp experiences... A guest speaker
came and talked about condoms and asked one girl to demonstrate putting on a
male condom (using a wooden penis) and another girl to put on a female condom
(using a toilet paper roll). The girls
cheered as the demonstration finished – but wait! Every girl was given two male condoms and two
female condoms and they were encouraged to practice with the wooden penis and
the toilet paper roll. Each girl took a
turn, following each step precisely.
Meanwhile, our guest speaker was in a private room where each girl would
get the chance to see what HIV Testing and Counseling was all about. Being tested was voluntary, but every girl
needed to know what was involved – a practice run, in case some day they would
like to be tested. Of course it was
anonymous, but out of 36 girls, 29 were tested!
Amazing. I’m so proud of these
girls.
Day 57
My favorite night of camp! After awards, fantas and biscuits, the evening
became more somber for the candle-lighting ceremony. Shelly started the evening off by lighting a
candle for Katy Puzey, a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer who died but she had a
vision for young girls in her community.
We then went around a circle lighting our candles and saying things that
moved us. It was beautiful. After the ceremony, I took Mary’s group for
reflection where we talked about the week and I made each girl pinky promise to
never forget what they learned at camp and to always strive to be role
models. Explaining a pinky promise to
Malawian girls is quite fun and they took the oath seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment