Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pre-COS Conference Chit Chat


Here I am, the eve of my COS conference.  Wasn’t I writing this same bit before staging, February 2011?  I was scared then.  I might be scared now.  It’s funny how weird it feels to have to assimilate back into my own culture.

Wow.  I did it.  At some points in time I didn’t know if I could make it, but then I proved to myself I’m stronger than I know.  I’ve changed in a lot of ways, I’m sure.  Looking back on my journal entries I know for a fact I’m less naive.  I also know that I have acquired a snappy temper.  I have found the joys in simple moments.  I have befriended many with fewer than 10 words shared between us.  I have sung, danced and laughed my way through Malawi.  I have experienced great loss.  I lost family, friends and once I even lost myself.  I have witnessed birth.  I have witnessed death.  I have fallen in love with life, only to lose it in a few short months.  That’s where the desperation comes.  Am I ready?

Of course I am.  Overall, I am completely satisfied with my service.  I taught, I learned.  I won some, I lost some.  I can cook with ease and I understand how spices work (huge accomplishment for life).  I can truly say I have done everything I wanted to do in my 2 years and I am ready for the next chapter in life.  My proudest moments are with the amazing people I have met on my journey and I hope to never forget any of this.  Saying good-bye is never easy and if you remember correctly, I do not do it well.

Cheers to a mind-blowing, sometimes challenging and always inspirational Peace Corps service.  I couldn’t ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment