Thursday, January 10, 2013

More awesome days in the vil!


Day 40

A day full of dread – traveling North on the lakeshore between my site to Chintheche.  To make a long story short, I rode in exactly 7 vehicles round-trip for the 50 kilometers - no fun.  However, on this adventure in horrific transport, I was able to talk with the women’s group that makes chitenje bags.  It’s been a while since I visited them and Beatrice, the head seamstress, and I have a pretty good bond.  She calls me often asking my opinion on certain items (mostly aesthetic opinions, I know almost nothing about business) and we always joke in Tonga – one of the few people I feel like I can actually communicate well with in Chitonga.  Anyway, I brought her some patterns for sanitary pads to start making and selling in her community, as they often have scraps of fabric that can easily be turned into something useful.  I also passed along a new idea for bags and a wrap skirt – all of which were accepted with open arms.  That’s what I love about this group – so open to new ideas and always down for a chat.  

After my visit with Luso la Manja, I continued on my way to Chintheche to check my mail.  The new mail man has quite an attitude, but I walked out of the post office with three packages – thanks Aunt Roxie, Aunt Nancy and Dylan!  When I got home, I devoured candy and treats and as always I am so grateful for you thinking of me! 

Day 41

Christian came to visit and after a restless day of sitting in the house, we ventured to the market for a Coke.  Still not satisfied, we walked down the road that led to no where.  It used to be the main highway (M5), however they built a bridge over Dwambazi River and averted the highway away from the village.  The road ends abruptly one kilometer from the market and drops you in the middle of cassava fields, but the old bridge is still partly standing.  As the sun was setting, the bridge looked ominous above us.  Christian led the way trying to get us back to my house via some imaginary short cut and soon it was dark and we only had my cell phone for light.  We could hear people speaking from dark houses but the road was not visible.  We roamed with a purpose but found ourselves aimlessly walking through fields until we finally turned back.  Okay, so this seems simple and boring, but it was nice to go for a walk, even at night, with Christian and with no purpose. 

Day 42

My new friend, Mrs. Luhanga, has been extremely supportive of my future plans of becoming a nurse.  Today I shadowed her at the hospital as she did antenatal care on patients.  For mothers who were pregnant, we checked vital signs and figured out how far along the mother was just by pressing your fingers below the sternum to the top of the belly (where you could also determine where the baby’s head versus the baby’s butt were located inside the womb) AND I got to hear the baby’s heartbeat (it’s incredible – almost inaudible by how quickly it’s beating – and to think a little life is inside that swollen belly, so beautiful).  While in America they use an ultrasound, in Malawi we use this small plastic shoe horn looking device and press it firmly beneath the women’s sternum while simultaneously pressing our ears to the smaller end.  Primitive, but effective.  For women who just gave birth, Mrs. Luhanga watched women breastfed to be sure the baby was adequately receiving milk.  She answered any questions the mother had and also felt inside the vagina to be sure everything was healing properly.  No one was rushed through the office, everyone’s questions got answered and somehow I felt that this healthcare system seemed to run much more smoothly in many cases than our own back home. 

Day 43

Market day with Ama is always my favorite day.  All week we talk about the things we want to buy and then when Friday comes along I make sure to look my best (or else Ama Chimbutu will send me home to change or shower) and we meet up for our ritual.  We greet everyone, of course, and Ama loves to chat loudly and with purpose.  She informs everyone that we are going shopping and we go shopping every market day.  When we get to the heaps of clothes, many buyers are already sifting through the second-hand clothing, but Ama Chimbutu elbows her way in and holds up clothes to show me.  At this point in time, we know each other’s styles and approximate sizes.  Ama can eyeball a shirt and tell me it will be too tight or too low-cut.  I know that Ama likes black and white patterns but also enjoys blue floral prints and long skirts.  Ama knows I’m a polka dot, stripes, spaghetti strap kinda gal.  We toss each other clothes “yesani, yesani” (try, try!) we yell over the music.  I know when Ama likes the clothes when she tries it on and starts slow-dancing while imagining where she will wear it.  When it’s not something she will wear, she makes a face of pure disgust and tosses it back in the pile.  We feed off the energy of the sellers who are typically yelling the prices “three-hundredy...three hundredy...” and the other women fighting to see what else is in the pile of clothes.  When we have exhuasted a pile or the vendor is just too picky with prices, we go on our way to the next pile.  After a busy day of shopping, I treat us to Cokes.  Satisfied with the last drop, we walk home with our goodies and I drop her off at her house.  The sun is usually setting and I always think “this is the happiest I could be” and it probably is.   

Day 44

Another Pad Training at Dwambazi and this one is led completely by me.  I was nervous to not have Elizabeth’s expertise, but I also had my amazing girls’ group and counterpart to help lead the morning’s training.  We had 12 girls come from the secondary school – they came in spurts, which made the women’s health lesson difficult, however I was proud to step back and watch my girls from GLOW take it away.  They sat down with each newcomer and gave a brief explanation of the female anatomy, menstruation and then directed the girls in pad-making.  At first I was frustrated that everything was starting on-time, but then I took a minute to admire my girls in action! This is what it’s all about – guiding the girls to do something that they are passionate about and watching them succeed.  As always, they started singing and chatting and the energy felt like nothing I’ve felt in a classroom. 

Day 45

Girls’ Club met and we talked about Goal Setting.  Not my best lesson, to be honest, but the girls were creative, as always.  It’s such a great joy to take them away from the boys and to see them in action – they have so much charisma and they are so smart, if only they had confidence to show off their awesome personalities all the time.  That’s what Girls’ Club is all about.

Day 46

Christian and I met with the Village Savings and Loan ladies again and this time we had a purpose.  I sat back as the women asked Christian business questions.  They gave him some of their business ideas (selling bundles of clothes at the market, selling chickens or beef to lodges or boarding schools) and Christian wrote out equations in the sand to show them how to make a profit.  The women seemed half-way interested but still unsure of which business to pursue.  At the moment, they have over 180,000k in a box that is just sitting in one woman’s house.  At the very least, the ladies received some good advice that got them thinking about more than just saving. 

Day 47

My latest craze in Malawi is to be creative in the kitchen.  Let’s face it, I couldn’t cook for the life of me in the States, but here it’s a requirement and the tastier the food, the happier I feel.  To spice up the daily routine, Christian and I made tacos, our favorite dish to make in Malawi, we have a system to our cooking – I pre-soak and season the soya, he makes tortillas (they’re always so perfect and round) and the pico.  We grill onions and peppers (if available) and I make Spanish rice.  During these perfectly tasty meals, we rarely speak, we only devour the amazing food before us. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment