We meet every Sunday at 2pm. At
least that’s what the hand-made posters say.
We try to meet. It took me some
time to get the girls warmed up to the idea of a club just for them – a club to
be girls. Initially I started last year
in September after school. The girls
complained that they were hungry and couldn’t concentrate. We took a club hiatus. After Camp GLOW in August, Tiphness and
Sunganani became the ring leaders for the new and improved Girls Club. At our first meeting I served juice and
cookies to lure them in. We had six
attend, not bad I should say.
As the weeks continued, I learned what worked and what didn’t. “Winging it” sometimes worked. Planning on 15 girls to come did not
work. Art projects always worked. Deep discussions could only be introduced at
certain times. Singing and dancing – the
best way to bring on the sillies or to get the sillies out.
Why Girls Club? Well, it’s a special
place where girls can be girls. Boys
outnumber the girls in the classroom and oftentimes girls get lost in the
crowd. Their English improves slowly as
their confidence can sometimes be crushed.
Girls are more at risk for HIV/AIDS biologically and culturally. Older men often try to seduce girls through
offers of gifts and money. There are
many schools where male teachers make sexual advances on their female
students. Girls are too embarrassed,
scared or shy to speak out. And even if
they did, who would be their advocate?
It’s her word against his and it’s more likely that the headmaster will
take the side of the teacher.
In our Girls Club, girls can express themselves without being ridiculed. I have watched my usually timid Form 1 ladies
turn into sassy, fun-loving young women.
I want to encourage them to be role models to their younger
sisters. I want them to be business
women, teachers and government leaders.
They have it in them; they just have to let their light shine.
A few of my favorite topics:
We decorated journals with stickers, pictures from magazines, old cards I
received from back home and talked about the importance of self-awareness. We use the journals to take notes and to make
our own notes of significance. At each
meeting, girls are encouraged to share what they have written throughout the
week.
After a lesson on women’s health, we crafted vulvas and vaginas out of
home-made play-dough. Each girl had to
identify the parts of the female reproductive system and then she got to take
home some play-dough. The discussion was
lively and spirited – huge hit.
I introduced the word “phenomenal” and came up with synonyms. We
read the poem Phenomenal Woman by
Maya Angelou using the assertive communication skills we talked about. After the dramatic readings, each girl wrote
on a poster what makes her phenomenal.
Then each girl stood tall and proud to exclaim what made her
phenomenal. **Special thanks to Shelly
for sharing this idea that she had with her girls club**
We were given a lesson on menstruation and trained by Elizabeth to sew
feminine hygiene pads. The girls who
were trained were given an opportunity to be leaders at another training a
month later where they introduced the topic and taught their peers everything
they learned from Eliza.
We talk about sex, women’s health and HIV.
We made friendship bracelets.
We set goals.
It’s kind of awesome, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment