At COS Conference, we filled out surveys and submitted them anonymously. These are our answers that were collected on the last day regarding our expectations for going home.
MOVING ON
When I think of returning to the states I feel:
·
Excited
and anxious
·
Anxious
·
Ready as
I will ever be
·
Overwhelmed
and apprehensive about the unknown and the expectations that await me
·
Uncertain,
yet hopeful and invigorated for new challenges and experiences.
·
Overwhelmed
·
Excited,
anxious
·
Indifferent
·
Anxious
·
Neutral
·
Nervous
but excited
·
Happy and
excited
·
nervous….excited
·
confused/ambiguous
·
a jumble
of emotions
·
like poop
·
like I’m
not actually going back to the states
·
scared
·
anxious
I’ll be going back to:
·
family and friends
·
my family
·
the next step, even if I am not sure what
that is yet. And cheese
·
family friends and the same environment,
which probably hasn’t changed much
·
Washington DC….for one year, then to infinity
and beyond
·
Prepare for grad school
·
New family members (baby cousins)
·
Friends
·
Chaos
·
School work and dance and play
·
My family, friends and dogs
·
A summer of fun and travel
·
Less color, technology, fast pace, no
greetings, cars everywhere, no ox carts, friends with babies and owning houses,
materialism to the extreme
·
My parents house
·
Wedding and grad school
·
Boston!
·
Good food my family and friends
·
Seattle
I expect that for me the process of returning will be:
·
easy and hard
·
like a slow car accident
·
a rollercoaster, just like PC and life
·
Transitional and nostalgia in so far as my
reflections on PC and Malawi
·
Cathartic
·
Lonely
·
Difficult, but I a ready to take on the
challenge
·
Yet another move in my life
·
Peachy
·
Challenging
·
Tough, but I hope it will get better over
time
·
Easy but overwhelming
·
Hard, happy, confusing, exciting
·
Smooth on the outside, somewhat turbulent on
the inside
·
Getting hit by a clean empty shiny bus
·
Emotional
·
Sad and difficult
·
Lots of ups and downs
When I think of seeing my family again I:
·
Can’t wait
·
Am praying I have patience
·
Feel its time
·
Get excited so I am able to catch up with the
years that I was here
·
Want to squirt guns full of confetti into the
air!! Yea!!
·
Am excited
·
Geek out
·
Cringe
·
Smile
·
Excited
·
Feel happy
·
Get a smile on my face
·
Am nervous because they won’t understand or
want to hear my stories
·
Feel apprehensive
·
Get excited
·
Want to pee my pants!!
·
Feel warm
·
Want to cry
I think my family will expect me to:
·
Be me
·
Stay home for a while
·
Struggle with big changes
·
Have changed to some degree and pursue my
hopes and expectations at the same time
·
Relax relax relax
·
Be bummed out but hungry for sushi
·
Pig out
·
Be the youngest
·
Find a job asap
·
Productive and stay in America for a long
time
·
Relax and slowly readjust
·
Be ready to have a baby
·
Live at home and stay for a while while also
resisting
·
Be very thin
·
Eat a lot
·
Be thrilled
·
????
I expect that my friends there will be:
·
Distant
·
Excited to see me
·
Struggle with big changes
·
Happt to have me back and hear about my
stories and journey
·
Able to call me!! Ole!
·
Curious
·
Excited to see me
·
As supportive as they ever been as long as I
am as open as I’ve always been
·
Tired of me saying “In Malawi….”
·
Happy and welcoming
·
Excited to see me
·
Happy to see me and interested in my
adventure
·
Busy having babies and working long hours
while I have all the time in the world
·
Scattered across the country nd not there for
me
·
Welcoming but anxious for me
·
Looking forward to making fun of their
crunchy granola friend
·
Uneasy around me, maybe intimidated
supportive.
·
Hard to find
·
Regarding money, I am going to be:
·
Poor
·
Poor
·
Broke and anxious until I find a job
·
Broke for quite some time being that
readjustment will not be sufficient
·
Just fine for a bit then will need some
deposits
·
Poor
·
Pretty broke
·
Freaking out, but when I have it I still
freak out
·
Sleeping on my mom’s couch therefore poor!
·
Ok
·
Enjoying it until I go broke
·
Spending it
·
Broke!! More school loansfine
·
Ok
·
Ok if I am careful
·
Still broke
·
Broke as shit
·
Poor until I get a job
Going back will enable me to:
·
Continue to grow
·
Continue school
·
Take the next step in my life. It is time.
·
Look at the world from a different
perspective due to what I’ve experienced here
·
Reinforce relationships that
·
Rest/plan
·
Go to school, process this amazing experience
and use it to be a badass professional (maybe)
·
Be myself
·
Do anything I want as I have gained more
confidence
·
Continue on my career path
·
Advance my career
·
Start a career and start a new life
·
See how I really have changed by my PC
experience
·
Start something that’ll lead to something
that doesn’t have an expiration date
·
Start thinking about having children
·
Take the next step
·
Take hot showers
·
Take the next step……
·
Do technical nursing stuff
I think that the hardest part of going back for me will
be:
·
Feeling lonely
·
Feeling alone
·
How little things have changed while my life
has so dramatically
·
Readjusting to the fear and chaotic life of
NYC
·
Iphone 5
·
Loneliness the rat race
·
Getting used to all the stimuli
·
Not insulting someone
·
Not gaining weight
·
Re integration
·
Not knowing when I’ll return, not seeing my
PC friends as much
·
Trying to limit my storytelling time
·
That everyone is way too busy, not willing to
say hello to a stranger
·
Making new friends and not feeling lonely and
insecure
·
Feeling guilty and angry with other people
for not understanding that
·
Different responsibility
·
Leaving the people here behind
·
Loneliness
·
Feeling bitter towards Americans
I think that the easiest thing for me to handle will be:
·
Feeling alone
·
Long hot showers and generally improved
hygiene
·
Talking about my experience and reaching out
to the inner city communities esp. my high school and professors
·
Dishwashers
·
The mac and cheese aisle
·
I won’t be afraid of the grocery store. To eat everything in sight
·
Insulting someone (I’m not sure)peeing in a
toilet
·
Traveling
·
Hot showers
·
Refrigerators, hot showers and microwaves and
overall convenience
·
Any public transport, waiting in lines
·
Eating out and grocery stores
·
Driving
·
Being a wife
·
Seeing friends and family
·
Conveniences
·
??
I’m really looking forward to:
·
My friends wedding
·
Anything with my brother and best friend
·
Hugging my mom
·
Meeting with dad, brothers, sisters and
members of my church congregation as well as my professors
·
Having security knowing I was fortunate to
experience the palpable richness of Malawi
·
Sushi concerts and family
·
The accessibility and ease of transport in
America
·
Not bathing in the mud and BRAN
·
Having Colby in America
·
Hugging family and friends
·
An American bed, spending time with my dog, a
new phone and joining RPCV groups.
·
Doing a motorcycle cross country trip
·
Finding out where I’ll live next
·
Driving places
·
Being just another face in the crowd
·
Every day with Jake
·
The RPCV network
·
My bed, hot showers, my family
·
Swing spinning
The first thing I’m going to eat is:
·
Vodka pizza with wicked brand beer
·
Something my mom cooks (salad and beef tenderloin
or lasagna)
·
Bacon cheeseburger
·
Macarans
·
Sushi
·
I can’t decide. It’s a problem whatever it
is, I am gonna eat the **** out of it
·
BRAN
·
Ben and Jerrys ice cream
·
Sandwich
·
Breakfast with my family
·
Homemade chexmix
·
A cheese plate and a really good glass of red
wine
·
Sushi
·
Copious amounts of cheese
·
A Mexican
·
Oysters and bloody marys
·
I have not yet decided
·
pickles
No comments:
Post a Comment