Friday, February 08, 2013

Food FAQs

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions from viewers like you!  Enjoy!
 
What kinds of food are there?

All kinds!  The availability of food depends on where you are located.  In my village, I can easily get the basics – rice, beans, soya pieces, fresh fish (because I’m on the lake), eggs, tomatoes, bread, onions, and pumpkin greens.  In the city, I can buy a bigger variety of items: peanut butter, all kinds of vegetables, spaghetti, spices, soy sauce, Ramen noodles, yogurt, ice cream, etc.

In Malawi, most people eat nsima (pronounced “see-ma”) with a side dish.  Nsima is made of corn flour and is added to boiling water to make a sticky consistency that looks similar to mashed potatoes.  It is bland in flavor but is used to pick up the side dish (Malawians eat with their hands).  So, you take a piece of nsima off of a patty and roll it in your hand until it is a nice ball and then you dip it into your side dish (beans, eggs, chicken, beef, fish with greens) and pick up the food with your nsima ball.

They make nsima with other types of flour, too.  In my area, they make nsima out of cassava flour which produces a stickier, thicker version of nsima.  Malawians tend to be impressed if you can cook this type of nsima.  It’s my greatest accomplishment.

Side note: It’s fun to eat with your hands!

Have you ever had goat? If so, how does it taste?

Yes, I’ve had goat quite a few times and it’s delicious!  It can sometimes be chewy or tough, but when cooked properly it can be pretty tasty.  Similar to beef.

Do you eat bugs?

I have eaten bugs, yes.  They are loaded with protein and in some places protein is expensive and difficult to find.  In Malawi, flying ants come out during rainy season and you can eat them fresh or fried.  Catepillars aren’t bad when fried and can be added to soups.  Also, there is the occasional bug that climbs into my food storage containers so I’m sure I’ve eaten my fair share of bugs.     

What is your favorite Malawian dish?

A toughie!  My favorite Malawian dish is pretty boring…I like rice and beans. 

Do they have any American food in Malawi?

Yes, in cities you can find Western grocery stores where you can find pretty much anything, but it is usually pretty expensive.  Occasionally I splurge on a jar of pickles or a block of cheese.

Are there restaurants?

Yes, there are restaurants all over.  Many villages have tea shops or small restaurants that offer Malawian cuisine.  In the cities there is a greater variety of restaurants – Indian, Chinese, pizza, burgers, etc.  It’s nice to treat yourself to a fancy meal when you go to the city.

Is there a McDonald’s?

No McDonald’s, but there is a KFC in the big city.  I have not eaten there, though.  They do have a restaurant called Steer’s and it’s similar to Burger King.  One time I went into a restaurant that said “McDonald’s” and even had the golden arches on the front, but inside they sold Malawian food.  Such a tease!

Do you have to boil your own water or is it safe to drink?

Peace Corps suggests that we all boil, chlorinate and filter our water, but I only chlorinate and filter my water, as boiling is time-consuming.  I have had problems with drinking untreated water, but I usually feel better in a few days or after I take antibiotics.  It’s best to at least chlorinate your water. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment