Thursday, February 07, 2013

Packing List


This has been borrowed and tweaked from some other blogs by PCVs over time.  I am a low-maintenance kind of gal, so this list is all based on my opinion from the past two years (and most of this stuff I just suggest for you to think about when you're packing - I personally did not pack all of this, but just things to keep in mind - and I also did not concern myself with name-brand items, as these are expensive and I was broke before I left and everything turned out okay with me!)    When you are packing, the most important thing is to KNOW YOURSELF.  Most likely the things you enjoy in the States are things you will enjoy in Malawi – maybe you’ll enjoy them even more while you’re here.  What makes you happy?  Dressing up and wearing makeup?  Water gun fights with your neighbors?  Yoga?  Hiking?  Swimming?  Rock Climbing?  You can do it all!  Pack light, but don’t forget the important things that make you smile.  Keep in mind that you can get *almost anything* in Malawi that you would absolutely need.   Of course, some of these things are expensive.  You can have family or friends send a care package of anything that you are missing (but again, this can be expensive).  Pack with the first few months of training in mind (you do not get a chance to shop before going to your training site).  I also recommend not worrying too much about things for your house until you get here (example: I bought a bunch of forks and spoons and knives and then ended up replacing a volunteer who already had several sets of these items...)  I started off hard-core, not wanting computer access and movies, etc...but after 6-8 months, I craved my family and news and the occasional relaxing movie.

Overall, focus on what will get you through these next two years and don’t stress about packing.  Hug your loved ones, eat lots of cheese and soak up some America...then come over here feeling fresh and ready for an adventure of a lifetime.

Clothing:

I recommend going to a used clothing store to stock up on any items you don’t already have in your closet.  You can also buy these items (even fancy name-brand clothes) in the market for very cheap (I’ve expanded my wardrobe exponentially – spicing things up helps with morale)! Also, laundry is washed by hand with really powerful soap so all of your clothing will get stretched and worn out much faster than it does in the States, so don’t worry about packing clothes (unless that’s your thing) because you can get some really nice finds in the markets here. 

 

-long skirts (cover those knees! Calf-length is my go-to skirt length)

-capri pants (I wear these when I travel – it’s acceptable in urban areas and I feel more comfortable climbing into the back of a pick-up truck when I’m wearing trousers)

- tank tops (it’s hot)

-jeans

-professional wear (PCM requires you to look and act professionally when you visit the office and sometimes there are events that require you to look sharp)

-bathing suit (You can definitely bring a 2 piece, even Malawian women wear them)

-sweatshirt (for those super cold days)

-leggings (sometimes it gets cold and they’re great!)

-underwear (One girl recommended packing underwear for the first year and then packing additional fresh and new underwear in a separate bag to be opened during your second year as a little treat…seriously, it’s the little things!)

-several bras including sports bras

-rain jacket (rainy season lasts about 4 months – stay dry!)

-Chaco/Keen/Teva Sandals (although I wore mine in training and went back to flip flops – I grew up in Florida where a basic pair of flip flops are all you need – but PCVs seem to love these)

-flip flops (PC will give you some for shower shoes)

-tennis shoes

-pair of nice, closed toed shoes for those professional moments

-shorts to lounge around in (I wear knee-length shorts in the city)

-a few pairs of socks

-rainboots (I wore these only during training – but my area receives less rain than the rest of the country)

 

Camping Gear:

There will be opportunities for you to camp (on the beach, at a friend’s site, at one of the many great parks in Malawi, etc.) so some of these items would be great to have.

 

-headlamp (a must-have item) & batteries (rechargeables are great! Decent batteries can be hard to find and expensive)

-tent (brought a cheap 2-person tent and it did the trick – this can also be used at a friend’s house when a mosquito net isn’t available)

-sleeping bag (Depending on where you live, you may only use this occasionally)

-sleeping pad (invest in something lightweight and comfortable)

-Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife

-hiking boots (I actually only wore mine a couple of times…I preferred the comfort of my sneakers)

-bandannas

-waterproof bag/back pack (keep your stuff dry! It rains and rains during rainy season)

-sun protective hat

-2 Nalgene bottles (I used these for the first year and then lost them eventually…great to have during training)

-bungee cords

-hiking backpack (this was a good buy – grateful I got one for those longer trips to Lilongwe or to visit friends)

-sunglasses (you can get them cheap in Malawi – I usually break mine or lose them so I didn’t purchase an expensive pair – but if you’re good with glasses, I say buy ‘em good-quality)

 

 

Personal Care Items:

You can get most toiletry items in country, but not during training so bring enough to get you by for the first 2 months. These items can be really pricey in Malawi, so it is nice to have your favorite items sent in care packages.

 

-contacts & solution (If you wear them, you should bring them. You'll regret it if you don't.  A fellow PCV recommended Pure Vision monthlies. You wear them for 1 month and don't have to take them out or touch your eyes.  Peace Corps does not want you to wear contacts, but I’m happy I did and it’s great for swimming in the lake)

-2 pairs of glasses (If a pair breaks or is lost, PC will replace it – the options are not very sexy, but it’s available to you)

-waxed dental floss (it’s expensive here! And during mango season, you will be especially happy you have it)

- favorite deodorant (the options are limited here – they use a spray deodorant or roll on but you can only find it in select stores)

-toothbrushes

-1 tube of toothpaste for training

-shampoo & conditioner (if you have a favorite – have it sent from the States – brands are limited and expensive)

-brush/comb

-favorite face wash (hard to find here)

-razors

- pumice stone (for fancy feet – you won’t regret it)

-nail files

-nail clippers

-sunscreen (you can also get this from the med office, so don’t worry)

-your necessary medications & vitamins

-sanitary products (some PCVs love the Diva Cup - I’m not a fan, but do what’s comfortable!  You’ve got two years ahead of you) and/or tampons with cardboard applicators (easily burned). PC medical office will provide you with this pads & tampons as needed, so you don't need to buy them in country.

-makeup for the ladies (you'll be glad you brought it)

-chapstick

-Ear Plugs are nice to have

-Q-tips

-several travel size containers for shampoo, conditioner, etc... to use these than carry around large bottles of your products when traveling

 

 

Electronics:

My site has electricity, so keep that in mind when reading my list.  I have many electronics, but it’s easy to keep things charged. In my opinion, having these items helped with my sanity.  However, electricity here can be difficult – power surges can fry electronics (I know two people who lost kindles, more who lost computer cords, etc. from power surges) 

 

-Netbook (strongly recommend bringing your laptop, you won't regret it! Some people bought their Macs, some brought full-size PC laptops – I liked my netbooks – all three that I went through due to faulty computers, nothing from power surges – I think they were just cheaply made)

-MP3 Player (yeah, I don’t own on iPod because iTunes drives me nuts, but a Zune was an excellent find and has much easier software for this technologically impaired girl to use than iTunes)

-Speakers that iPod plugs into to recharge (since I have electricity I had speakers that plugged into the wall which were great – but the recharging speakers are the way to go)

-Camera (I brought a point and shoot and a SLR)

-Rechargeable batteries

-Solar battery charger (I recommend Solio - mine got stolen, but it was a great thing to have for the first 4 months)

-headphones (you can also buy these in the market)

-adapter/converter

-Kindle (people swear by it, but I love turning pages and hate reading off a screen – there are lots of books in country and lots of people who will share their Kindle books as well)

-external hard drive (lots of movies and television in country – bring some new stuff to share – I received one as a gift during my second year and it was nice to share American culture with my neighbors as well as to veg when the going gets tough)

 

Miscellaneous:

 

-umbrella

-yoga mat

-GRE book

-games (cards, Uno, travel-size games, bananagrams)

-puzzle books (crosswords, sudoku)

-pictures of family & friends (to decorate your house – turn it into a home!)

-spices (food is bland – spices add so much to your life)

-Crystal Light packets/lemonade packets/Powdered Gatorade

-American dollars (PC will safe keep up to $750 USD. Cash is great when you want to travel outside Malawi or want to splurge)

-climbing gear

-Calendar and/or day planner (it’s nice to stay organized…and useful when writing reports for PC to remember all your meetings and work for the quarter)

-sharp kitchen knives

-address book

-envelopes (the ones that have a sticker over the seal – it gets hot so the lickable seals seal themselves…you can buy envelopes in country though)

-American Forever stamps (often volunteers travel back to America and can mail letters for you easily)

-journal

-sewing kit

-scissors

-duct tape (best thing you could ask for)

-reading books

-Malawi travel guide

-your favorite candy, gum, snack foods

-hammock!

 

Host Family gifts:

During IST we had the opportunity to visit our homestay families again so I printed photos of us that we took during PST and gave them as a gift.  Huge treat!

 

-candy from America

-little plastic toys for kids

-cards

-stickers

-or calendars, things from your hometown

 

Some more FYI:

-PC provides you with a  medical kit and you can receive anything that you would need from Peace Corps Medical, so don’t worry about packing your own.

-Nothing stays white, so white clothing isn’t your best bet.

 

Things I wish I had packed:

-iPhone or internet phone that accepts a sim (people swear by them!)  If you bring one, get it unlocked before-hand.  And get that What’s App app.  I did end up buying a portable modem for less than $30 for my computer.  It’s nice to communicate with home and also PC loves to send e-mails on the reg, so it’s good to stay up-to-date and know about upcoming events.

 

Things I wish I hadn't packed:

-solar shower (it’s too hot on the lake shore for that – but some people in cooler areas like them…there are some PCVs in country who would be willing to give/sell theirs to you, I’m sure)

-water purification wand (or whatever it is…never used it…I used waterguard [chlorine you can buy in Malawi] if I didn’t trust a water source)

-eating utensils (it was silly because I moved into a house that had two previous volunteers and had everything I needed right here – however, this is not always the case for every volunteer.
 
 

FYI - I wear the same thing every day and I have become really resourceful (as you will find yourself doing, too) so don't sweat the packing!  This list is just suggestions that PCVs have come up with, but not necessities. 



For those of you who want name-brand items (might last longer, I don't know, I never had any problems with my off-brand tent, no-name hiking back-pack and inexpensive rain jacket), you can check out this site for some awesome discounts: Volunteer Discounts
 
And if you have Facebook and want more information, you can check out this link where PCVs from Malawi are already discussing everything you need to know: Click Here!

 

Most importantly....Welcome to Malawi!  We're so happy you're on your way!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I am leaving for Malawi in March and still trying to figure out what to bring and what to leave home. This seems like a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, welcome, welcome! Bring the necessities and you can find the rest here - don't stress about packing, just love on your family and friends! Take care, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks!! i'll be there in june. this is all good advice :)

    ReplyDelete