AND NOW... some more Frequently Asked Questions about Africa and Malawi!
How
is Africa?
I don’t even know where to begin! Firstly, I only really know how Malawi is,
Africa is a pretty big continent to be summing up, but Malawi has been an
adventure. Learning how to live in
another culture has not always been easy, but it has been incredibly
interesting. Malawi is a diverse country
– mountains, lake, valleys, cities and rural areas – and the people here are
from several different tribes. Overall,
Malawians are very friendly and they pride themselves on being from the “Warm
Heart of Africa”.
While
you are in Malawi, do you switch houses or cities every couple of months?
A Peace Corps service is about 27 months. The first two or three months are spent in
training in a village with other Peace Corps Volunteers. The last 24 months are spent in one
village. Some volunteers choose to
change sites due to a variety of reasons (lack of work, corruption,
disagreements, etc.) but most volunteers stay in one place.
Did
you choose Malawi?
I did not choose Malawi. During the Peace Corps application process, I
was asked if I had any preferences for specific regions (South America, Pacific
Islands, Eastern Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, etc) and based on my resume,
experience and preferences, the Peace Corps recruiter selected a country that
would fit best. When I learned I was going
to Malawi, I had no idea where it was and so I had to do some research
before-hand.
Do
you think you will want to stay in Malawi when the two years is up?
I love Malawi and I have many friends I would like
to stay in touch with here, but I know that it is time to move on. I will definitely come back to visit – Malawi
has become a part of me. However, two
years away from my family is long enough.
I have missed my friends getting married, having babies, new cousins and
the deaths of some family members. It’s
difficult to go through these experiences so far from home and I am looking
forward to seeing the people I left behind.
Do
you think you will go to another country after Malawi?
After my service I plan on taking a trip through
Eastern Europe before I return home to the States. I want to work in international health so I
know I will do more traveling when I have finished my graduate work. There are so many great places to live!
What
region are you in?
I am in the Northern region of Malawi on the
lakeshore. I stay in Nkhotakota
district, closest to Nkhata Bay district.
Were
you nervous to go to Malawi?
No I can’t say that I was nervous to go to
Malawi. I was mostly excited. I was more nervous about social things, like
saying good-bye to friends and family for two years and learning a new language
so I could make friends in my village.
Is
it extremely dangerous?
Malawi is not dangerous. I have never feared for my life or felt
threatened. It’s a peaceful
country. Occasionally I have been robbed,
but nothing that felt dangerous.
Are
you near a desert or tropical area?
Malawi is tropical, although there is a serious
deforestation problem and it’s predicted that the lush, beautiful part of
Malawi will soon be empty.
How
hot is it? What is the weather like?
There are three seasons in Malawi: hot, cold and
rainy. During hot season, the lakeshore
can be in the 120s. Most people find
shade and do very little work during hot season. During rainy season, it rains every day for
several months. When it’s not raining,
it’s muggy. In cold season, it’s in the 60s along the lakeshore. *Other parts of Malawi have different
temperatures and this is only in my community.
No comments:
Post a Comment