Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Day in the Life

I wake up when the roosters crow, which typically starts at 4am. I will myself back to sleep (typically recalling the day, but going backwards - works every time - thanks, Massiel!) and wake again (for real) at 6am. I've been trying to run in the mornings (mostly to go unnoticed by the majority of the village and also it's cooler in the mornings), usually only 20 minutes or so, maybe 4 times a week. Although I am the dirty kid of Peace Corps, I always shower after I run (you're welcome, Malawi) - usually a cold bucket bath - the "running water" isn't always running. I make a fire and heat up some water for tea or coffee or hot chocolate. There's just something about starting your day off with something warm, even in tropical Malawi. It's like easing your way into the day - not such a shock to the system.

If I ran that morning, I treat myself to french toast or pancakes. If not, I go with oatmeal. I sit on my reed mat reading short stories from The New Yorker magazines that the last volunteer left behind. I do a few chores (dishes, laundry, sweeping, watering flowers, whatever needs to be done) and then head to the hospital.

Now my duties at the hospital were never clearly outlined, which is fine, I just come and go as I please. If there are babies in the Nutrition Rehabilitation Unit, I feed them at 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm. If there's an Under 5 Clinic (this bad boy gets its own blog, stay tuned) then I weigh and register children. If I'm just going to the hospital to see where I could be useful, then I check temperatures and note them in each patient's book. Typically I spend anywhere from 1-3 hours at the hospital. Mostly to kill time and have a schedule for myself and, selfishly, to practice my Tonga. In this setting, I can't always resort to English, so I have to use my language. They hardly need me at the hospital, but it's nice to be involved. Also, good for networking.

I head back home for a snack. Usually I break open a grapefruit or bananas and then read some more New Yorker magazine or do a Sudoku - I finally mastered "Difficult" - pretty proud of myself. Maybe a few more chores (fetching water from the borehole [which is used for drinking - I don't drink straight out of the tap...well, a couple times I did...again, another blog on that topic...], mopping, cleaning my yard [which seems to always be a mess?!]). Usually I go down to the market, mostly to chat and practice my Chitonga - sometimes I buy eggs, bananas or bread - things I go through constantly.

I start working on lunch around 11 or 12 - it takes a while to get a fire started in my charcoal stove so I typically snack while getting it started. I make something fantastic for lunch (because I'm a fabulous cook now) and devour it...while reading the New Yorker or writing letters home (just to be sure nobody forgets me).

Then I make my rounds visiting the neighbors. At first I just stopped over to their houses to say hello, but soon they complained that I rushed off so quickly. So I chat with them for as long as I can, then I move on to the next neighbor. Sometimes there is jealousy among the neighbors (as you can guess, everybody knows everything that I do) so they try to make me stay for dinner. I usually oblige, one less time I have to start a fire. But I also cook at home, starting my cooking around 4, as it gets dark by 6 and I usually need ample time to make a fire.
At night, I read until I'm tired. I try to make sure all my dishes are clean because running water is hit or miss, especially in the mornings, so it's better to be prepared than to be eating out of a dirty bowl.
On the weekends, I visit with friends. Clarissa and Sol are 20 minutes (by car) south of me and Robert is 30 minutes north (by car).  I can easily ride my bike if I want to save kwach. Usually we swim at the lake.

I plan a trip once a month to Mzuzu for supplies and a visit to the bank. Mzuzu is the city closest to me (about 3 hours, depends on who is driving). I can get pretty much anything in Mzuzu, so it's nice to do one big shopping trip at the beginning of the month. Halfway through the month I try to get to Chintheche at least once to check mail and restock. There are few veggies in my village (tomatoes and onions and occasionally a leafy green) so it's nice to get to a market that has more of a selection.

So currently that is my life. It's very glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment