Ama (pronounced: ah-ma) - means woman, mother or Mrs., it's respectful
Ada (pronounced: ah-da) - means man, father or Mr., respectful
Inya (pronounced: een-yah) - means "yes"
Awa (pronounced: aah-wah) - means "no"
Iwe (pronounced: eee-way) - means "you" in Chichewa, but is often used in a derrogatory manner toward children and animals...it's used to yell at them or tell them to go away
Bodza (pronounced: bode-zah) - means "lies" aka B.S.
Umampha (pronounced: ooo-mom-pa) - good. I like the word umampha because it's such a solid way of saying "good". It's a strong word.
Chamampha (pronounced: cha-mom-pa) - It is good
Cha - negates whatever you just said. Example: Chamampha cha means it is not good. I told my language teacher, Beatrice, that I was only going to learn half the verbs and vocabulary since I could use "cha" as the opposite. I was half-joking, but it turns out I really only know half the vocabulary and verbs and I use "cha" a lot, even if it doesn't make sense, I get my point across.
No comments:
Post a Comment