Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Flour Tortillas


I made this! And I will never buy tortillas from a grocery store again - this is too easy and tastes much better fresh.

2 cups flour
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp salt
3/4 water

In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Pour in oil and water, mix well. The dough should not be too sticky or too stiff. Add more flour or water to reach desired consistency. Take about 2 tbs of dough and form into a ball. Roll into tortillas (I did not have a rolling pin, so I used an empty beer bottle - classy). on a lightly floured surface. Fry in a hot, dry skillet until both sides have brown spots.

Corn Tortillas: Substitute 1 cup corn flour for 1 cup flour and add an extra tbs of oil and water to make dough workable.

Tortilla Chips: Prepare tortillas as directed, slice into wedges after rolling the tortilla out. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder or peri peri and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 180 degrees until crisp (or if you don't have an oven, which I don't) The wedges can be fried in hot oil, then drained on a paper towel. Season chips while still warm. Keep chips in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment