June 1, 2011
Ama Chimbutu invited me to lunch. When I got there, she told me she had to bathe and took off her shirt exposing her bare chest. She laughed as I looked away, embarrassed, although all day long I see women breast-feeding, sometimes they just leave them hanging out...just in case? Anyway, it's no big thing here, but I think Ama Chimbutu is trying to test me in some way. She pushes me to see how far she can go before I get embarrasses. Her favorite things is to teach me the dirty words in Chitonga and then laugh when I repeat them.
June 6, 2011
I have Clarissa's dog this week. Honestly, I don't want it. Yes, it's cute and sometimes cuddly, but the thing drives me nuts. So far she has defecated in every room of my house. I'm so sick of mopping. My house smells like urine. Clarissa comes back Friday. Just a few more days.
June 7, 2011
The dog chewed up the book I was reading. Then when I tried to go to the hospital, I had to lock her up because she follows. She howled from inside my house for hours. Three hours. My neighbors complained.
They hate me now.
This dog might not make it to Friday.
June 8, 2011
The dog (which has no name, since Clarissa has trouble finding the love for this dog) dug up my yard. She tore up some flowers and there is a minefield of - ahem - poop in my front yard. This dog might be the spawn of Satan. Yes, I'm sure of it.
June 9, 2011
I was told that I need to travel to Nkhotakota for a Mosquito Net Distribution meeting. I arranged to have the dog stay with Robert (that was so nice of him - he has no idea what's coming) and I cannot wait to drop the dog tomorrow at his house.
June 10, 2011
The dog peed in my bed. She looked me in the eye, smiled, squatted (I screamed) she winked and peed right there.
I dropped her off at Rob's. We went for a swim at the lake and the dog howled at us from the beach, as if we had tied her up and were poking her with hot sticks.
After the swim and lunch, I couldn't run away fast enough. Good riddance. Maybe Clarissa can just pick up the dog from Rob's on her way back through?
June 11, 2011
Clarissa isn't coming back until Sunday. I told Rob I would take the dog from him, since she is my responsibility. I will do it tomorrow though.
The Mosquito Net meeting was interesting. It started [almost] on time. I woke up at 4 to get there by 8:30 and it started around 9:15. Not bad.
During the meeting, the HSAs at NKK hospital talked about initially having 164,000 nets but after a re-evaluation of the district, they will need 240,000 nets to hand out. They counted and verified that they are short 80,000 nets. Distribution starts in two days. Where are they going to come up with 80,000 nets? And why didn't anyone say anything sooner? And why are they short 80,000 nets to begin with? One man said it could be possible that people have had children since the first count. 80,000 new babies in a matter of a few months? I don't think so.
June 12, 2011
I picked up the dog from Rob's. He told me she ran away for 45 minutes but because she doesn't have a name, he didn't know how to look for her. She ran away?! For 45 minutes?! I wish I could be so lucky.
June 13, 2011
Clarissa comes home today. I can't wait for her to pick up this dog. Consequently, as a going away gift to me, the dog threw up in my bed. It's taking every ounce of energy I have to not strangle this pup. I don't even think PETA would argue with me. Okay, I wouldn't hurt the dog, but I'm trying my best not to cry every second of the day. She's a mess.
Does this make me unfit to be a mother? I can't even care for a puppy. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have a dog while I was here, now I am positive I do not want a dog. Rocks and Chia are the only pets for me.
My neighbor, Ethyl (yes, just like Cherry Creek), taught me how to make mandasi (fried dough) and bake a cake over a fire. We spent the day cooking and baking and dancing around her yard to Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On. She put it on repeat (just like Terri would) and for a while, everything was okay.
Hurry up and get your dog.
A women's group here wanted to meet with me at 2. They didn't show up until 4. Right on time. I asked if another day or time would be preferrable and they said no, they like meeting on Sundays at 2. They want to get an IGA going - maybe make tortilla chips to sell. I'm all for it, especially during avacado season. Chips and guacamole? Heck yes.
Someone said to me:
You are so beautiful. You must have babies to pass on this beauty.
I said:
No, I don't want babies. Not right now. Maybe not ever.
He responded:
Oh, but you must. Just have one, to pass on your beauty. You can give it to your mother to raise.
Yes, that's exactly what my mom wants.
June 14, 2011
It's starting to get cold. I use a blanket at night.
There's a mouse/rat in my house. I squealed a low, gutteral, painful scream of disgust, fear and anger. Please don't eat my food, little rodent.
June 16, 2011
Today feels like Christmas. Peace Corps dropped off my mail (finally some packages and birthday cards!) and, much like my Christmas at the age of 7, Peace Corps dropped off a new bike. Well, not NEW, but it has two pedals and brakes that work! And after tearing open my letters and tearing up at the funny, sentimental notes, I felt somewhat sad. I miss home. I wanted my sister to be right there next to me telling me about her day, not telling me on lined paper.
I've got a mild case of the homesickness, but only because I have the best family and friends a girl could ask for.
I think the rodent is gone. I haven't seen any damage or "maprizes" but all last night I was paranoid. I kept thinking I heard squeeking, so I kept checking the kitchen and the hallway (4 times throughout the night, at least) with my broom held over my head.
June 17, 2011
Another patient died today. It was a young boy. He was anemic and apparently needed a blood transfusion, but we are just a small rural hospital. The district hospital (with all the fancy equipment) is in Nkhotakota (about 3 hours away), so in case of emergency, we call them to send an ambulance to pick up the patient and drive him/her to the district hospital.
The ambulance did come. It was called at 9am and showed up at 2pm. The patient had passed away by 12. Frustrating, inefficient and heartbreaking.
June 18, 2011
The mouse is still here. I guess I only hoped she had disappeared. She was knocking over bottles and pictures on my dresser. Then she climbed up to the window edge and clawed her way up the burglar bars and squeezed out the cute little hole she chewed through the screen.
I have named her Maverick. It seems fitting. She is super annoying, extremely dumb, but so gosh darn cute. Much like another Maverick I know (circa 2008).
I need to get a cat. Or rat killer. Oh gosh, I’ve never intentionally killed anything in my life. I don’t know about this.
June 19, 2011
It’s Father’s Day in America. I had to be reminded. Good job, daughter.
June 22, 2011
I’m having trouble being patient. I want to start my garden, but I have to wait until my fence is built before I plant any vegetables. I’ve been waiting for two weeks for this fence and finally the builders showed up today to say they will be here tomorrow. Great. Fine. Just come and build my fence!
June 26, 2011
“When every day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.” – The Alchemist
June 27, 2011
I have noticed that the Peace Corps acts as a turn-style…a revolving door that shuffles really awesome people in and out of my life.
BIG NEWS: It only took one match to start a fire today.
Four months ago I was sitting in a bar in Philly with a bunch of strangers. Now they are my friends. Weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment